Devotional When You Feel Like You’re Not Enough | Proverbs31.org

SC Facilitator

Staff member
Nov 29, 2022
“And Elisha said, ‘Borrow as many empty jars as you can from your friends and neighbors. Then go into your house with your sons and shut the door behind you. Pour olive oil from your flask into the jars, setting each one aside when it is filled.’”
2 Kings 4:3-4 (NLT)
d9-16-22.png

Source: When you feel like you are not enough | Brenda Bradford Ottinger (proverbs31.org)

Excerpt:
I’m a woman of habit, so every morning, like a playlist on repeat,...

One morning, as the water ran low in my single-serve brewer, I thought, Oh, how my weary spirit can relate. I, too, felt like I was running low — low on time, skill and energy to pour into the people and places God had called me to flow into. Perhaps I don’t have enough … or I am not enough to make a difference.

But as I refilled the reservoir on my brewer, pouring water into the tank while the brewer simultaneously splashed tea into my mug, I noticed the water level in the tank remained unchanged. Even though the machine was withdrawing water to fill my cup, the water pouring in restored the water pouring out.

Immediately, my mind chased the biblical story of the widow’s flowing oil jar. A distraught widow approached the prophet Elisha with news that her husband, the household provider, had died, and creditors were looming. The only valuable possession she had left was a flask of olive oil.

Much like that widow assessing the meager resources she had for her family, all too often I can feel that what I have to offer is insufficient. But that morning, God reminded me that my lack is ample means for His measure.

You see, as we lift up the small vessels of our lives in faith, trusting they're more than enough for our big God to use, He pours His abundance into us as we pour it out into the world — just as the Lord poured oil into the widow’s jar while she simultaneously poured out.

We need not rely on our own power or perceived enough-ness; rather, let's rightly place our faith in the God who is able to do infinitely more than we can ask or think. (Ephesians 3:20) For when we make ourselves available vessels for Him, He pours His full measure of love into us as we pour out His love into the world.

[More...]

Last edited:

Diana S

Facilitator
Staff member
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 15, 2021
The Netherlands
Love this!
Yes love it too - Ephesians 3:20 Now to the one who is able to do beyond all measure more than all that we ask or think, according to the power that is at work in us, yes beautiful or Romans 8:26-28 The Spirit helps us in our weakness. We don't even know how to pray. That is why the Spirit looks after our interests with groans for which there are no words. 27 And God, who knows what is in our hearts, understands what the Spirit means. What He asks for believers is in accordance with God's will. 28 One thing we know, for those who love him God makes all things work together for their good, for he has a plan for them.🙏🏽😘

Reactions: Lori Jane