General the only true God | footnote

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith
Best footnote ever! From "The One God, the Father, One Man Messiah Translation" pg 486 on Colossians 1:2

Colossians

1From Paul, an Apostle of Messiah Jesus in harmony with God’s will,
and Timothy our brother, 2 to the saints and faithful brothers and
sisters united to Messiah, who live in Colossae: grace and peace to you
from God, who is our Father.

• The one God (o theos: transliteration reflects modern Greek pronunciation), the only true God, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and of Jesus.
    • “The only one who has immortality whom no one can see or has ever seen” (1 Tim. 6:16).
  • The God of the NT is certainly not the triune God of later church councils. “God” (often “the God”) means the Father over 1300 times in the NT, echoing the summary statement of the Hebrew Bible in Mal. 2:10, where the one Creator God is defined as the one Father.
  • Thousands of singular personal pronouns define God as a single divine Self/Person (cp. “I am YHVH,” and “I YHVH” some 215 times, plus thousands of other singular personal pronouns defining God).
  • This concept is very uncomplex. It has been passionately held by Jews during the whole of their history and is the heart of Jewish belief today.
    • Jews are rightly aghast that a triune God should be imported into their sacred Scripture.
  • The unitarian view of God was held by Jesus and is thus binding on his followers (Mk. 12:29; Jn. 17:3; 5:44).
  • The simple concept of One God, the Father became hopelessly confused when later “church fathers” tried to explain God in terms of Greek philosophical concepts unknown to Jesus and the NT.
  • Ps. 110:1 provides the key to the relationship between the One God, Yahweh, and “my lord” (adoni).
    • Adoni is always a non-Deity title, every one of the 195 times it appears in the OT.
    • The false capital on the second lord of Ps. 110:1 misleads many readers.
    • Many commentators have even misreported the second lord as “Lord” and misled the public by saying the second lord is Adonai, which it is not!
  • Jesus is the lord Messiah (Lk. 2:11), not the Lord God, which would make two who are God and thus two Gods.
  • In about every 6th verse in the NT (17% of the verses) you are going to encounter the word GOD or equivalent.
    • This is very often in the Greek “the God,” i.e. the One God of Israel, not any God of our invention.
  • Bishop N.T. Wright says that with the expression “the God” (not just “God”) the writers of the NT were providing “an essentially Jewish monotheistic concept of God” (Jesus and the People of God, 1992, pp. xiv-xv).
    • That truth is explicitly stated by Jesus in Mk. 12:29: “The Lord our God is one Lord.”
    • That is not a Trinitarian creed and the founder of our faith was a Unitarian.
  • Jesus never authorized worship of a triune God.
  • There is no verse in the Bible where “God” means a triune God.
  • In the Bible when people said “GOD” (YHVH, Elohim, Adonai, theos, about 11,000 times) none of those statements about GOD means a triune God.
  • For an intelligent devotional life and relation to God in spirit and truth, this is the first truth which needs to be taught.
    • It must not be withheld from seekers after God and Jesus.

Shelley

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Best footnote ever! From "The One God, the Father, One Man Messiah Translation" pg 486 on Colossians 1:2

Colossians

1From Paul, an Apostle of Messiah Jesus in harmony with God’s will,
and Timothy our brother, 2 to the saints and faithful brothers and
sisters united to Messiah, who live in Colossae: grace and peace to you
from God, who is our Father.

• The one God (o theos: transliteration reflects modern Greek pronunciation), the only true God, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and of Jesus.
    • “The only one who has immortality whom no one can see or has ever seen” (1 Tim. 6:16).
  • The God of the NT is certainly not the triune God of later church councils. “God” (often “the God”) means the Father over 1300 times in the NT, echoing the summary statement of the Hebrew Bible in Mal. 2:10, where the one Creator God is defined as the one Father.
  • Thousands of singular personal pronouns define God as a single divine Self/Person (cp. “I am YHVH,” and “I YHVH” some 215 times, plus thousands of other singular personal pronouns defining God).
  • This concept is very uncomplex. It has been passionately held by Jews during the whole of their history and is the heart of Jewish belief today.
    • Jews are rightly aghast that a triune God should be imported into their sacred Scripture.
  • The unitarian view of God was held by Jesus and is thus binding on his followers (Mk. 12:29; Jn. 17:3; 5:44).
  • The simple concept of One God, the Father became hopelessly confused when later “church fathers” tried to explain God in terms of Greek philosophical concepts unknown to Jesus and the NT.
  • Ps. 110:1 provides the key to the relationship between the One God, Yahweh, and “my lord” (adoni).
    • Adoni is always a non-Deity title, every one of the 195 times it appears in the OT.
    • The false capital on the second lord of Ps. 110:1 misleads many readers.
    • Many commentators have even misreported the second lord as “Lord” and misled the public by saying the second lord is Adonai, which it is not!
  • Jesus is the lord Messiah (Lk. 2:11), not the Lord God, which would make two who are God and thus two Gods.
  • In about every 6th verse in the NT (17% of the verses) you are going to encounter the word GOD or equivalent.
    • This is very often in the Greek “the God,” i.e. the One God of Israel, not any God of our invention.
  • Bishop N.T. Wright says that with the expression “the God” (not just “God”) the writers of the NT were providing “an essentially Jewish monotheistic concept of God” (Jesus and the People of God, 1992, pp. xiv-xv).
    • That truth is explicitly stated by Jesus in Mk. 12:29: “The Lord our God is one Lord.”
    • That is not a Trinitarian creed and the founder of our faith was a Unitarian.
  • Jesus never authorized worship of a triune God.
  • There is no verse in the Bible where “God” means a triune God.
  • In the Bible when people said “GOD” (YHVH, Elohim, Adonai, theos, about 11,000 times) none of those statements about GOD means a triune God.
  • For an intelligent devotional life and relation to God in spirit and truth, this is the first truth which needs to be taught.
    • It must not be withheld from seekers after God and Jesus.
I just found out Muslims believe in one God. Mind you they have some other beliefs Im not so sure about, but holy Dina this is so great to know about them.

Reactions: Neil

Neil

Bible Challenge
Oct 3, 2020
Canada
The way the triune God has been pushed so strongly by so many, gave me a knot in my stomach so many times.

That is an excellent group of statements with scriptures to back them up.

It's so offensive to give Yahweh's glory to anyone else, ... Jesus would have been very upset and would have said ... hmmm... maybe something to the effect of..." why do you call me good? Only God is good!" ... or something like that maybe!

Shelley

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Yes and Muslims don't believe Jesus was crucified either. Yet they do believe in him. Its fascinating stuff

Shelley

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
The way the triune God has been pushed so strongly by so many, gave me a knot in my stomach so many times.

That is an excellent group of statements with scriptures to back them up.

It's so offensive to give Yahweh's glory to anyone else, ... Jesus would have been very upset and would have said ... hmmm... maybe something to the effect of..." why do you call me good? Only God is good!" ... or something like that maybe!
It makes my head hurt.

Reactions: Neil