General THE LAW IS WRITTEN IN OUR HEARTS

LeeB

Dec 3, 2022
The Law is Written in Our Hearts

The Ten Commandments were written on tables of stone but not in our hearts.

ASV Psalms 44:21
21. Will not God search this out? For he knoweth the secrets of the heart.

God knows all our thoughts, words and deeds; God knows our hearts. The law, by command, could change our outward behavior but not our inner motivation. When the bible speaks of the heart it is speaking of the human spirit that is what we are and it is this human spirit that God values.

ASV Proverbs 16:1-2
1. The plans of the heart belong to man; But the answer of the tongue is from Jehovah.
2. All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; But Jehovah weigheth the spirits.

Your human spirit is the heart of man, the center of mans being. Heart=human spirit. Salvation is for the human spirit.

ASV Mark 7:21-23
21. For from within, out of the heart of men, evil thoughts proceed, fornications, thefts, murders, adulteries,
22. covetings, wickednesses, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, railing, pride, foolishness:
23. all these evil things proceed from within, and defile the man.

Sin or defilement is in our human spirit or heart. The law could punish outward actions but not inner thoughts.

ASV Romans 2:28-29
28. For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision which is outward in the flesh:
29. but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

God can circumcise our heart or spirit by cutting off sin in our nature over time as we grow in grace and knowledge.
God circumcises sin inwardly and not the foreskin outwardly.

ASV Hebrews 4:12
12. For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and quick to discern the thoughts and intents of the heart.

KJV Isaiah 51:7
7. Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their revilings.

The writing of the law in the heart is a changing of our spirit, our nature, so that it is not by command that we obey but by desire and nature. We begin to take on the nature of God as demonstrated to us by Messiah. Our will agrees with Gods will for us and we freely submit to God so that God can work in us. We become free moral agents at conversion whereas before we were slaves to sin.

KJV Jeremiah 29:13
13. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

KJV Jeremiah 31:33
33. But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

God writes His law in our inner man that makes a change in our spirit. The law could not change our nature. The converts on Pentecost were circumcised in heart or spirit and asked, what shall we do? They were cut to the heart.

The Strongs article for the word "heart" below says that it is our feelings, will or intellect. These functions are of the spirit of man or our human spirit and this law God writes in our spirit is a change in our human nature that was unable by tables of stone to be righteous. God gives the saints His Holy Spirit which is the power we need to keep the intent of the law that is Godly love.

Strong's Ref. # 3820
Romanized leb
Pronounced labe
a form of HSN3824; the heart; also used (figuratively) very widely for the feelings, the will and even the intellect; likewise for the center of anything:

KJV--+ care for, comfortably, consent, X considered, courag[-eous], friend[-ly], ([broken-], [hard-], [merry-], [stiff-], [stout-], double) heart([-ed]), X heed, X I, kindly, midst, mind(-ed), X regard([-ed)], X themselves, X unawares, understanding, X well, willingly, wisdom.

This explains the idea of the outer flesh being different than the inner man of spirit or how the physical Jew differs from the spiritual Jew. He is not a Jew who is one outwardly in the flesh that tried to keep the law written on tables of stone and performed carnal works of the law of Moses. You become a spiritual Jew, a spiritual Israelite, if God writes His law in your spirit. This law is the ten commandments condensed to two commandments of Love God and neighbor. Love is an emotion, a feeling, a will and part of our intellect. Gods love is made a part of us and empowers us with a new nature and sound mind. Love passes knowledge and wisdom. Gods love cannot sin when we apply it in our lives.

KJV Ephesians 3:19
19. And to know the love of Christ, which passes knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God.

Gods love in the saints is the fulfillment of what the law demanded by command and is given to the saints as a gift by faith. This is how God works in the saints and the saints no longer work in the law. The faith in us is proven by the works of Gods love in us otherwise faith without works would be dead. It is the works of God manifested through the saint who has faith and not the works of someone under the law that was not of faith.

Outcast

Dec 5, 2023
Holt
Fortunately, all our past sins are forgiven for those who truly submit to Yahweh and believe in His Son. For some of us, speaking for myself, we don't understand "submit." I listened back then to the words of man instead of knowing scriptures. I like this passage:

1 Pe 3:20–22 Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers having been subjected to him.

Reactions: LeeB

LeeB

Dec 3, 2022
Future sins are covered by grace through faith as one of the chosen.
As long as we are in the flesh we sin but there is an example of king David in Psalm 51:1-19 KJV that shows a genuine repentance after his murder of Uriah and adultery with Bathsheba. I tried to e-mail a hymn we sang in the WCG of Psalm 51 . I always liked this , hope you do too.

Outcast

Dec 5, 2023
Holt
Future sins are covered by grace through faith as one of the chosen.
As long as we are in the flesh we sin but there is an example of king David in Psalm 51:1-19 KJV that shows a genuine repentance after his murder of Uriah and adultery with Bathsheba. I tried to e-mail a hymn we sang in the WCG of Psalm 51 . I always liked this , hope you do too.
My email doesn't show a message from you. Is Psalm 51 the actual hymn? I do like that passage. His sin was confessed and he offered sacrifices. While our sacrifice is already made, I am left with confession and repentance.

Reactions: LeeB

LeeB

Dec 3, 2022
This is on YouTube . Search for, in thy loving kindness , Then look for the Worldwide Church of God. Dwight Armstrong, Herbert’s younger brother, had a musical gift. We sang many Psalms and had know idea of their meaning in the Worldwide. I know what they mean know.

LeeB

Dec 3, 2022
Outcast, would you mind posting some of the hymns from the W.C.G HERE ON Simply Christian ? I do not have the technical smarts to do that but I think you do. Thanks.

Outcast

Dec 5, 2023
Holt
Outcast, would you mind posting some of the hymns from the W.C.G HERE ON Simply Christian ? I do not have the technical smarts to do that but I think you do. Thanks.
Are you speaking of links, MP3s, or videos?

LeeB

Dec 3, 2022
It would be in the way music is posted in the music forum, however that is. I guess it would be a link.

Reactions: Outcast

LeeB

Dec 3, 2022
My email doesn't show a message from you. Is Psalm 51 the actual hymn? I do like that passage. His sin was confessed and he offered sacrifices. While our sacrifice is already made, I am left with confession and repentance.
Psalm 51: 16-17 David’s sacrifice was of the spirit, a broken contrite heart. Just as yours and mine.

Outcast

Dec 5, 2023
Holt
Psalm 51: 16-17 David’s sacrifice was of the spirit, a broken contrite heart. Just as yours and mine.
Yes, what you say is true, but my reference was of the sacrifice that enacted the New Covenant. I suppose that can be confusing when one refers to the establishment of the New Covenant versus our own personal sacrifices to walk in obedience. Of course, I would have to ponder whether my obedience is a sacrifice or simply the result of having God's spirit in me.

LeeB

Dec 3, 2022
I see it as the as the same. Even the ability to repent is of the spirit, obedience is of the spirit. Philippians 2:13 Everything Christian is of the spirit. Zechariah 4:6

Reactions: Outcast