General The Hebrew “word of the Lord”

benadam1974

Nov 15, 2020
For the Old Testament writers “the word of God” is the self-expression of God or a quality of God. So when John 1:1 says that “the word was with God” it doesn’t mean that a person was with God.

In the Old Testament qualities of God, things belonging to God are said to be “with Him” — His reward/salvation in Isaiah 40:10; 62:11; His purpose/plan in Job 10:13; 14:5; 23:14; 27:11; wisdom and strength in Job 12:13, 16; mercy in Psalm 130:7.
(See also Gal. 2:5: “the truth of the Gospel would remain with you.”)
And the famous passage in Proverbs 8-9 describes “wisdom” as a woman beside God, with her companion “prudence.”

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Even when I was a JW and would read John 1:1 I always felt "the word" / logos was an expression or facet of Jehovah - a part of his spirit if you will. It reminded me of how in Genesis we see God saying "let there be light" and there was light. His word or saying came to be. We see the holy spirit going to a fro over the surface of the earth to make God's word come to be. I see the same thing in John 1:1 - God's word - his intent or purpose - became manifest in Jesus. It didn't mean Jesus existed as a being called "the word". That is read into the text because it is a popular belief. My research has shown though that Jesus did not pre-exist.

"From heaven" means he was from God. God's spirit overshadowed Mary to make her conceive a child that would be considered God's only begotten son. "From heaven" does not mean Jesus was a being that now got transplanted or co-mingled with a human. That concept is foreign to Jewish thinking - it is Greek philosophy that has inflitrated.

God's spirit infused in Jesus made him unique but he was still a human. He had free will as Adam did but remained loyal to his father and his God. He invites us to do that same and share in his inheritance. All we need to do is have faith, repent, get baptized and live by his commandments with the most important of loving our heavenly father and our neighbors.

benadam1974

Nov 15, 2020
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Even when I was a JW and would read John 1:1 I always felt "the word" / logos was an expression or facet of Jehovah - a part of his spirit if you will. It reminded me of how in Genesis we see God saying "let there be light" and there was light. His word or saying came to be. We see the holy spirit going to a fro over the surface of the earth to make God's word come to be. I see the same thing in John 1:1 - God's word - his intent or purpose - became manifest in Jesus. It didn't mean Jesus existed as a being called "the word". That is read into the text because it is a popular belief. My research has shown though that Jesus did not pre-exist.

"From heaven" means he was from God. God's spirit overshadowed Mary to make her conceive a child that would be considered God's only begotten son. "From heaven" does not mean Jesus was a being that now got transplanted or co-mingled with a human. That concept is foreign to Jewish thinking - it is Greek philosophy that has inflitrated.

God's spirit infused in Jesus made him unique but he was still a human. He had free will as Adam did but remained loyal to his father and his God. He invites us to do that same and share in his inheritance. All we need to do is have faith, repent, get baptized and live by his commandments with the most important of loving our heavenly father and our neighbors.
Right, that’s like saying believers are literally “from heaven” just because we’re said to be “born from above” or “we’re not of this world.” 🤓

London

Bible Challenge
Oct 13, 2020

All the comments are observing a literary style by the biblical authors. For me it is a bit simpler than John 1:1. I remember being in field service and the householder brought up the subject of Michael the archangel. He said JW say that Michael is Jesus but he is not. I said I would do some research and return. After looking in the insight book, I returned with the textbook answer. Pointed to Michael in Daniel, Revelation and then the scripture where those in the memorial tombs would hear Jesus voice. Then used 1 Thess. 4:16. The gentleman was polite and listened to all my "research" and said that proves nothing. The truth is simple. 1 Thess. 4:16 states that the Lord would have the voice of an archangel not that the Lord is an archangel. Lightbulb...lol! That was an example of not recognizing the context and literary writing style. Jesus voice was likened to an archangel just like the Word of God is as good as done/accomplished and Wisdom is a dominate feature in all of God's creation. Roms 1:20 shows we get to know the person of God through creation which Proverbs highlights everything was created with and in Wisdom personified. But Jesus lack of prehuman existence is found to me in the fact that he is never named until right before His birth. If he was existing prior to his birth don't you think he would have been named? That is why the JW cling to the doctrine that Michael is Jesus. Michael is found in Daniel (before Jesus) and found in Revelation (after Jesus resurrection). Someone so significant and important would be named well in advance. Just like Cyrus was in Isaiah. Just makes sense. Instead what he would do was prophesied and where he would appear but no name. Also Romans refers to Jesus as the last Adam..how can he be the last Adam if he is not like Adam in being created by God here on earth? He wouldn't be the last Adam if he was an angel in heaven and just transferred? After all the bible only shows angels materializing b/c they are molecularly made of different stuff. Yes God can do anything but doesn't creation show He works in patterns? Those patterns provide us consistency and security and reliability. Mathematics and science thrive in the discovery of new constants. Anyway I know we all agree it is more important what we do as Jesus followers and how we treat each other.

We each have our own personal relationship with the Creator and His Son. We each can receive and be directed by the Spirit. By sharing we can learn about each other and more about our Creator. To me it is like when my grandmother died. At the wake, everyone shared an experience they had with her while she was alive. From her sons, to her daughters, to her friends, to her sisters, to her grand children, we each had something special to share in different times of her life. It created a more complete picture of all her loving qualities and negative ones too. Even though I was one of her grandchildren my experience was totally different from each of my cousins.

Just wanted to express appreciation for everyone on this site. I enjoy everyone's comments and look forward to reading them.

Hugs

Reactions: Lori Jane