Article Steadfast Love, Lovingkindness, Unchanging Love | Living Hope | by Vince Finnegan | lhim.org

SC Facilitator

Staff member
Nov 29, 2022
Source: Steadfast Love, Lovingkindness, Unchanging Love | Living Hope | lhim.org | Vince Finnegan | Jul 5, 2023 |

Excerpt:

The Hebrew word chesed in some Bibles is translated “lovingkindness” and in other versions “steadfast love”. In Micah 7:18 and 20, chesed was translated “unchanging love”.
Lovingkindness, steadfast love, and unchanging love combined provide a good definition of God’s love. In the book of Psalms, chesed is used more than half of the 251 occurrences found in the Bible.
Following are the beginning verses in Psalms. To gain a full appreciation, reading each psalm mentioned will be helpful. God’s proper name is “Yahweh” and therefore is translated as such in this compilation.

Psalm 31 provides a glorious perspective for anyone who is in the midst of grave troubles.
David’s thoughts put into words about his God will guide you. Words like “refuge”, “deliver me”, “rescue me quickly”, “rock of strength”, “stronghold to save me”, “my rock”, “my fortress”, “lead me”, “guide me”, “You are my strength”, “I trust in You”, “You are my God”, “the secret place of Your presence” are examples.

Psalm 33:4-5. For the word of Yahweh is upright, and all His work is done in faithfulness. He loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of the lovingkindness of Yahweh.
If our eyes are open and seeking, we can see that the earth is full of His lovingkindness. If our eyes are focused on the evil that is in the world, we will be filled with darkness that simulates unhealthy emotions and a distressful life.

Psalm 36:5-10 Your lovingkindness, O Yahweh, extends to the heavens, Your faithfulness reaches to the skies. Your righteousness is like the mountains of God; Your judgments are like a great deep. O Yahweh, You preserve man and beast. How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! And the children of men take refuge in the shadow of Your wings. They drink their fill of the abundance of Your house; and You give them to drink of the river of Your delights. For with You is the fountain of life; In Your light we see light. O continue Your lovingkindness to those who know You, and Your righteousness to the upright in heart.

[More...]

Last edited:
Reactions: Diana S