Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
LOST and FOUND
What is Repentance?

I testified to both Jews and Greeks about repentance toward God
and faith in our Lord Jesus

Acts 20:21, HCSB

We have been taught that we need to repent and ask God for forgiveness every time we sin. This raises questions: What if I commit some “minor” sins today and I don’t repent over them because either I’m blind to my own errors or they slipped my mind when I prayed?

What is repentance? Repentance means “
change of mind” (Greek metanoia; meta meaning change + nous meaning mind), not the emotions. We could contrast this with the word paranoia, ‘beside-mind’, out of your mind.

LOST and FOUND 14 image.jpg

Although the word is commonly associated with behaviour, a ‘re-considering’ of our sins accompanied by pain and sorrow, yet it is primarily a faith issue, a gospel issue, rather than ‘my sins’ issue. “The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news!” (Mark 1:15) Jesus was saying to unbelievers “change your unbelieving mind and believe me - the good news.” The preaching of Jesus and the apostles speaks to the ‘nous’ and when a man changes his mind at the preaching of the gospel, he has experienced metanoia.

Turning from behavioural sins may make you a moral person - like the Pharisees - but it won’t make you righteous. On the other hand, turning to God once-for-all-time, away from the sin of unbelief in Christ, means a receiving of Christ’s righteousness – one placed “in Christ” and Son focused (Heb 10:2,10-14). This avoids the obsession with sin and perpetual ‘guilt trips’. Daily thereafter, as we read Scripture and the Spirit enlightens our hearts, our minds will be renewed, transformed into a greater knowing of Christ (Rom 12:2).

Have you truly
repented?

Reactions: Shelley

Shelley

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Yes er eey. The Kingdom is not here yet. But looking forward to this promise we can at least try and live righteously. God knows we can't accomplish this perfection yet. But the coming Kingdom is when we will.

Reactions: Lori Jane