Devotional Space for Grace | The Two Sons | 12.27

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020

THE PARABLES | The Two Sons (Matt 21:28-31)

“Which of the two did the father’s will?”

They said, “The first.” Jesus said to them, “In truth I tell you, tax collectors and prostitutes are making their way into the kingdom of God before you.”

Matthew 21:31, The New Jerusalem Bible

Context: This was part of Jesus’ reply to the questions: “
By what authority do you do these things? And who gave you this authority?” Having handled their questions, Jesus used some illustrations to show the religious leaders what kind of persons they really were.

December 27th THE PARABLES image.jpg

Meaning: Jesus points to the application of this illustration in verses 31-32. The tax collectors and harlots who believed John the Baptizer were like the first child who at first, rudely refused to serve God but later felt regret and changed their course. The chief priests and the older men of influence were comparable to the second child, professing to serve God but actually failing to do so.

Application: Israel at Sinai said, “All that Jehovah has spoken we will do.” All they achieved was a measure of self-righteousness based on failed obedience. The Law, in demanding unattainable 100% obedience, highlighted their sin and pointed to the one saving “work” of believing in Christ (John 3:36; 6:29; Rom 10:1-4). In this way, John revealed “the way of righteousness” (vs 32) by pointing to Jesus who is our righteousness. In contrast to the person of self-improvement and ‘religious behaviour’, the honest sinner makes no boast of keeping the law but puts his trust in Jesus. It is the person who says, “God I’ve tried, but I cannot do it. I’m a failure. God help me.” “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick … for I have not come to call the (self-) righteous, but sinners.” (Matt 9:12-13)

Your goodness is not good enough.