Devotional Space for Grace | The Talents (Matt 25:14-30) | 12.15

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020

December 15th THE PARABLES | The Talents (Matt 25:14-30)

His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful slave! You were faithful over a few [things]; I will put you [in charge] over many [things]. Enter into the joy of your master!'

Matthew 25:23, Lexham Expanded Bible

Context: This parable was a part of the reply to the question found at Matthew 24:3. Unlike the parable of the minas, the talents were given “to each one according to his own ability.” (Luke 19:11-27) Some suggest that a silver talent was up to 20 years’ salary in those days, so five talents would be a fortune of 100 years – we are talking millions! Two of the slaves traded diligently and were rewarded accordingly. Out of fear the sluggish slave buried his talent.

Meaning: The traditional view of this parable asks, “what are your God given abilities, resources and opportunities that you can put to work for the kingdom?” This understanding sounds fine, as long as we avoid the ‘salvation-through-works’ narrative (Rom 4:1-5). Alternatively, some reason that as the word ‘talent’ here refers to a weight or sum of money it should not be misread to mean our natural talents, gifts or abilities but rather divine grace received from our Master. In which case, the parable is not about how hard you work for God, but whether you will demonstrate faithfulness in growing in the riches of grace given to you thus “reigning in life” (Rom 5:17).

Application: Those having a distorted view of the Lord as ‘hard and demanding’, will live in fear not grace (Isa 58:3; Luke 15:29). Those who know Jesus as mild-tempered and lowly, accept that he has entrusted them with the riches of his grace – his love, favour and forgiveness – which will flow through them to others also in need of unconditional love and forgiveness.

Grace is given to ordinary people who do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

Attachments

• December 15th THE PARABLES.pdf
    216.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Dana

Shelley

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Thanks again Jim for digging up deeper meaning in this parable. I used to dislike reading it when I thought I was "falling short" Now that I understand grace it doesent gives me the guilts like it used too :)

• Love
Reactions: Lori Jane