Devotional Space for Grace | The Sheep and Goats | 12.30

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020

THE PARABLES | The Sheep and Goats (Matt 25:31-46)

When the Son of Man comes in His splendor, and all the angels with Him, He will take His seat on His splendid throne, and all the nations will be gathered before him, and He will separate them from one another, just as a shepherd separates his sheep from his goats.

Matthew 25:1-2, Williams New Testament

Context: Sheep and goats often grazed together but were separated at night because the goats having thinner coats needed a warm shelter at night, while sheep preferred open air. Sheep and goats were sometimes herded together down a chute that was wide enough for only one at a time. A shepherd would sit atop the fence,
swinging a gate back and forth to guide each animal through the appropriate opening to join its own kind. The right side was considered the side of honour.

December 30th THE PARABLES image.jpg

Meaning: The sheep and goats grazed together; the wheat and weeds grew together - until the final separation as individuals at the Judgment preceding Christ’s millennial reign. Some have said the “brothers” are the Jews; others say they are all Christians; still others say they are suffering people everywhere. Such a debate is much like the lawyer’s earlier question to Jesus, “Who is my neighbor?” (Luke 10:29). The point is not who, but the what - the importance of what practical service is needed in each situation. Notice, no preaching work is mentioned here.

Application: These works are the evidence of salvation, not the means to salvation; the fruit not the root. So, they inherit a kingdom; they don’t earn it. Good works do not make a sheep and bad works do not make a goat. They are not separated on the basis of works but identity. A sheep is someone who believes in Jesus, while a goat is someone who rejects Him (Matt 7:23). Minister to the needs of others, especially fellow believers, as though they were Christ himself.

Just as Christ served you, serve others as though they were Christ.

Shelley

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Last thing I said when leaving my pasture 4 years ago was just trying not to be a goat and Jesus will straighten things out when he comes back.

Reactions: Lori Jane