Devotional Space for Grace | The Pharisee and the Tax collector | 12.25

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020

THE PARABLES
The Pharisee and the Tax collector (Luke 18:9-14)

I tell you; this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.

Luke 18:14, NASB

Context: Those who went to the temple to pray did not go into the Holy or the Most Holy, but they were permitted to enter the surrounding courts, like the court of Women. The Pharisees were proud and self-righteous, viewing other men with contempt (John 7:47-49). They fasted twice a week on market days, though this was not required by the Mosaic Law (Matt 6:16).

December 25th THE PARABLES image.jpg

Meaning: The Pharisee stood up and
prayed about himself. His prayer was a résumé. He uses the pronoun “I” five times in two verses. The Pharisee’s attitude seems to be that God should be grateful to him for his commitment. But the tax collector stood at a distance and prayed just seven words: “God, have mercy on me, a sinner.” He hit the heart of the problem – his heart – realising his unworthiness.

Application: He “went to his house justified.” This parable is rich with the truth about justification by faith. This is the scandal of grace: God justifies sinners (Rom 4:5). Search the parable for evidence of the tax collector’s good works or merit, and you will find nothing. Grace is for the undeserving. It’s for those without résumés. If you allow them, the words of Jesus will change you. They will strip you of your religion and reveal your need for grace. The law places the demand on man to produce what he cannot. Grace abundantly supplies in our weaknesses through Jesus. Christianity was never meant to be another religion.

It will be difficult to receive Grace if you think of your heavenly Father as an employer.

Reactions: Lori Jane