Devotional Space for Grace | The Lost Coin | 12.28

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020

THE PARABLES | The Lost Coin (Luke 15:8-10)

In the same way, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of God's angels
over
one sinner who repents.

Luke 15:10, The NET Bible

Context: Luke 15 is the chapter about the search for lost sinners: a lost sheep, coin and son. A drachma coin was almost a day’s wages. However, this lost coin may have had special value perhaps as an heirloom or part of a dowry, therefore holding a sentimental value like that of a wedding ring. In this second parable of chapter 15, more detail is given regarding the search effort than in the first parable of verses 4–7.

December 28th THE PARABLES images.jpg

Meaning: The Jews taught that men may crawl to God, but never that God would seek out sinners! Light ... sweep ... search - these three verbs indicate God’s holy zeal to find each lost soul - leaving no stone unturned to
find us in the dirt! Each individual is precious to God. He grieves over every loss and rejoices whenever one of his children is found and brought into the Kingdom.

Application: Jesus came all the way from heaven to earth to search for His lost ones, pursuing sinners into every dark corner, and then shining the light of the glorious Gospel on them (2 Cor 4:5-6). “There is joy in the presence of God’s angels over one sinner who repents.” Who is present before the angels? God. It is God, first and foremost who rejoices to lavish his love on those now turning to Him. He does not offer them some kind of ‘he loves me, he loves me not’ relationship dependent upon their impeccable behaviour. They have the security of being His children (1 John 1:12).

Joy Over One.

Attachments

• December 28th THE PARABLES.pdf
    218.6 KB · Views: 0

Neil

Bible Challenge
Oct 3, 2020
Canada
Nicely put, and so beautiful to read.

My child went against my house rule? Kick him out of the family!!!
Not with God. ( should we sin more, so that grace may abound more?... something like that... that's powerful love.)