Devotional Space for Grace | Speaking out (c) in Unity | 10.25

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
RELIGION versus GRACE
Speaking out (c) in Unity

Now I urge you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you should all speak in agreement and that there should be no divisions among you, but that you may be completely united in the same mind and in the same line of thought

1 Corinthians 1:10, New World Translation

If you have associated with JWs for any length of time you will soon realize that they pride themselves in their worldwide unity. Based on the scripture above, 1 Corinthians 1:10, they insist all must be united in thinking and beliefs. Independent or critical thinking is not approved; nor are private group discussions which are not arranged by the congregation.

What is the context? Many in Corinth were
following men instead of focusing on their relationship with Christ, their one leader (1 Cor 1:9-17). So, this is not a prohibition on discussing different views of scripture while recognizing Christ as head, but a prohibition on unconditional submission to a man or a body of men. What God-fearing individuals resisted the trap of following men?

Elijah the prophet and 7000 others chose not to follow their appointed king and religious leaders into apostate Baal worship, refusing to violate their conscience and worship of God (Rom 11:2-6).

Obadiah the steward of King Ahab secretly hid and fed 100 outcast prophets. He put his own life in jeopardy by disobeying the duly anointed, yet deviating, king and his queen (1 Kings 18:1-16).
RELIGION versus GRACE 25 image.jpg

Apostles. The Jewish Sanhedrin was viewed as the religious “
governing body” of the day but neither Jesus nor the apostles cow-towed to their legalistic rulings. (Acts 5:27-33).

How important is a relationship with Christ to you? In the first ten verses of 1 Corinthians chapter one, Christ is mentioned 10 times. As believers conform to Him and the Holy Spirit, they will come into alignment with each other. The goal is not perfect conformity, but unity in Christ.

Divergent views do not have to mean division - Rom 14:5-6

London

Bible Challenge
Oct 13, 2020
Excellent points! I was thinking of the one who protected Jeremiah or within the past 100 years the individual who risked their life to protect Anne Frank and her family under Nazi Germany. Or those that helped save slaves during the civil war and after. The widow at Zarephath with Elijah 1 Kings 17:8-16. Elijah asked for a cup of water and bread. Matthew 25:34-40. Vs 40 "And the King will say, 'I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!'" Many examples of those that helped others in history. The GB applies Matthew 25 to themselves. Those who support the GB with money, time, resources etc will be the sheep on Jesus' right hand. However, Jesus was referring to "little ones" as those insignificant individuals or those we have differing views from. Remember Jesus parable of the good Samaritan. Or just look at Jesus example of who he spent time with and helped. We can be unified in showing love to one another and respecting each other. Life is enjoyable because of variety!

Reactions: Lori Jane