Devotional Space for Grace | Speaking out (b) or remain silent? | 10.24

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
RELIGION versus GRACE
Speaking out (b) or remain silent?

They have perverted their way, and they have forgotten Jehovah their God.
Return, O backsliding sons, and I will heal your backslidings.
Behold, we come to You; for You are Jehovah our God.
Jeremiah 3:21-22, Modern King James Bible

There is “a time to keep silence, and a time to speak.” (Eccl 3:7) Should you expose religious hypocrisy or not?

Scripture says respect the elders and even imitate their faith if they adhere to God’s Word, but they do not have institutional authority over the body of Christ - Jesus himself has such authority. Only loyalty to God and Christ is absolute, all other relationships - whether to governments, employers, husbands or elders - are all ‘relative’ or qualified by our submission to the supreme authority (Heb 13:7-8,17).

Faced with twisted teachings and practices, should you speak out? Each situation is different. If, after thorough research, you do decide to voice your views – or to “make a defense of your hope” - you must be prepared to face a wall of cognitive dissonance and reprisals. You will likely be accused of proud ‘independent thinking’ and apostasy. Take heart from these courageous men of God:

• Jonathan. His father King Saul wanted to kill David. There was no “wait patiently” attitude
for Jonathan; in covenant loyalty to David, he followed his conscience and courageously spoke out in opposition to his father, the anointed king (1 Sam 18-20).
RELIGION versus GRACE 24 image.jpg
• Jeremiah exposed the corruption of anointed leaders. Later he said, “God, opened my eyes to their evil scheming. I had no idea what was going on—naive as a lamb being led to slaughter! I didn’t know they had it in for me, didn’t know of their behind-
the-scenes plots: “Let’s get rid of the preacher.” (Jer 11:18-19)

Will God bless those loyally obeying a deviating leadership?

Reactions: Lori Jane