Devotional Space for Grace | RELIGION versus GRACE | The Light gets Brighter | 10.10

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
RELIGION versus GRACE

The Light gets Brighter

When I [Solomon] was a son with my father [David], tender and the only son in the sight

of my mother [Bathsheba], … the path of the [uncompromisingly] just and righteous is like the light of dawn, that shines more and more

(
brighter and clearer) until [it reaches its full strength and glory in] the perfect day
Proverbs 4:3,18, Amplified

Proverbs 4:18 is used by a number of religious groups to support the idea of progressively “revealed doctrinal truth” through their unique, exclusive channel. This concept is prevalent among the Unification Movement, Children of God, Mormonism and Jehovah’s Witnesses etc.

The context of Proverbs 4 clearly centers on parental training. Solomon mentions his parents, David and Bathsheba, training him in the wisdom of the Law – see verse 3 above. Solomon is not discussing doctrinal or organizational enlightenment but encouraging his own sons not to break the cycle of parental wisdom that he had received. He contrasts this with the wicked person’s crooked lifestyle.

Here is an old illustration used by C T Russell: “A new view of truth never can contradict a former truth. “New light” never extinguishes older “light,” but adds to it. If you were lighting up a building containing seven gas jets you would not extinguish one every time you lighted another but would add one light to another and they would be in harmony and thus give increase of light: So is it with the light of truth; the true increase is by adding to, not by substituting one for another.” Zions Watch Tower, 1881 Feb p.188

Underlying all scripture is Jesus Christ. Perhaps we have been controlled to think what light, but it's not what is the light it's who is the light. He is the light, our wisdom and righteousness! (John 1:4,9; 1 Cor 1:30) Is the reality of the person of Jesus becoming brighter to you along your personal road?RELIGION versus GRACE 10 image.jpg

Praise God that you are seeing and knowing Jesus with increasing clarity

Reactions: GraceMade

KellyP

Bible Challenge
Oct 9, 2020
The way the witnesses used new light did not make sense to me because why would Jehovah or Jesus tell you a lie and then change it. That is basically what they were saying when they were wrong on something. Before they said it was from faithful and discreet slave and then when wrong they said because of new light.

Reactions: Lori Jane