Devotional Space for Grace | Obey (b) Law Glasses or Grace Glasses? | 10.18

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
RELIGION versus GRACE
Obey (b) Law Glasses or Grace Glasses?

If you love me, you will keep my commandments

John 14:15, Lexham

Religion is always about what we have to do, Grace is about what Jesus has done for us and strips us of all self-reliance and self-effort.

Someone may object, “The Bible says somewhere that ‘if we desire to be loved by God, you will dutifully obey all His commands’ – here we are John 14:15, “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.”

Law glasses. Someone reading these words through the spectacles of the law will have a dyslexic view: we must prove our love for God by exerting ourselves to do what He commands.

Grace glasses. Yet someone who reads these same words wearing grace-glasses understands that keeping His commands is a by-product of love of God and neighbour. I could read a thick book on family life which includes many experiences, guiding principles and detailed legislation on marriage and parenting. But if I love my wife and children, do I really need a list of laws dictating how I should relate to them? If they live in my heart, I will keep all the rules anyway. Conversely, if I don’t have love for my family, all the rules in the world will not help. So, love of Jesus comes from the heart, not a book (Rom 6:17).
RELIGION versus GRACE 18 image.jpg

Obedience is a by-product of having an “in him we are” connection to Jesus the vine, allowing him to live his life through us. Communion with Father, Son and Spirit always comes first, then God’s love flows out of such union (John 14:20-21;15:1-11).

Religion is about our obedience; Christianity is about Jesus obedience

Reactions: Lori Jane