Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
LOST and FOUND
Lost and Found

I wander about like a lost sheep; so come and look for me,
your servant, because I have not neglected your laws

Psalm 119:176, Good News Translation

What is a Christian? It is someone who follows in the footsteps of Jesus, we may reply (1 Pet 2:21). The problem is that this is impossible to do if we are a lost sheep. Ah! But suppose Jesus, the fine shepherd, leaves the 99 to search for the lost one.

Jesus takes the initiative to trace our whereabouts by expertly tracking our erratic footprints into our private wilderness. He finds us messed up by years of spiritual neglect, trapped in the barbed wire of harmful religious policies and infested with cognitive dissonance.

LOST and FOUND 4 image.jpg

With overflowing compassion, he reaches down and gently raises us up into his arms as he whispers “sheep-nothings” of “I will in no way leave you, neither will I in any way forsake you.” (Heb 13:5, WEB) “I give you eternal life, you will never perish, no one will ever snatch you out of my hand.” (John 10:29) Then with infinite patience he retraces his steps, carrying us home on his broad shoulder to His Father. What do we actually do? All we can do is yield to being carried! By default, every step he takes is also ours, hence we inevitably “follow the lamb wherever he goes.” (Luke 15:3-7; 1 Pet 3:18; Rev 14:4).

We are lost in our own seeking until Jesus comes and says to us, “Hurry and come down.” Stop your searching. Stop trying to save yourself - “I have come to seek and save the lost.” (Luke 19:5,10)

Jesus conducts the greatest search-and-rescue mission in history