Devotional Space for Grace | Legalism versus real Christianity | 10.12

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
RELIGION versus GRACE

Legalism versus real Christianity

Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you.
Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly
Matthew 11:28-30, Message Bible

So, what is the difference between a legalistic Christian and a grace Christian? First, the motive. For example, a Christian might share the good news to either gain God’s approval or from an awareness of His love and acceptance. Second, what is the source of life – self-effort or Christ living in and through him?

Imagine a deaf person and a hearing person. The hearing person man is happily tapping his toes and snapping fingers rhythmically to the beat of some music. A deaf man enters the room, sits next to him, nodding a greeting. The deaf man watches the music lover for a while and decides to copy his actions. Awkwardly at first, he imitates by tapping his toes, then snapping his fingers to approximate his friend’s movements. After a while, he catches up with the rhythm, almost in sync. Although he doesn’t get the same fun out of the exercise as the hearing man, he gets a measure of satisfaction. In fact, a quick glance at the pair of friends and you can hardly tell who is hearing and who is deaf!RELIGION versus GRACE 13 image.jpg

When we are approaching the Christian life in the way God intended, our attitudes and actions are in joyful response to the “music” of our relationship with the indwelling living Christ – the “unforced rhythms of grace” (Matt 11:28-30). A legalist, on the other hand, is more concerned about marching to the beat of one drum, to conform to detailed rules. The actions of both may look similar - but who is joyfully alive?

Are we trying to conform to others or enjoying Christ within?