Devotional Space for Grace | How can I control sin? | 11.15

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020

LOST and FOUND

How can I control sin?

Therefore, since Christ has suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise
with the same mind, for he who has
suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin

1 Peter 4:1, Modern English Version

The answer is - WE cannot control sin! Our righteousness does not depend on our striving for better behaviour management but is entirely of grace. Victory lies in turning our mind to Christ’s all-sufficient sacrifice and the imparting of HIS righteousness. Let’s reason on the verse above:

“Jesus suffered for us in the flesh.” He suffered physically but especially through his painful death. 1 Peter 3:18 describes Jesus “suffering” a one-time-only execution. Peter continues above: "Arm yourselves likewise with the same mind." "Arm" is a military term for putting on heavy armor in preparation for battle. The real war takes place in our mind – either to focus our thinking on our sins or on Christ and our position in him (2 Cor 11:3).

LOST and FOUND 15 image.jpg

"He who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin.” (a) We identify with his suffering and death in that we were co-crucified with him. Our ‘death’ broke the domination of sin and self. 1 Peter 2:24 explains, “He personally bore our sins in His [own] body on the tree [as on an altar and offered Himself on it], that we might die (cease to exist) to sin and live to righteousness. By His wounds, you have been healed.” (Amplified) A new Christian when invited to a ‘wild party’ sent back the RSVP – ‘I am sorry I cannot attend your party because I recently died!’ (b) It is also true that if we face intense physical suffering, perhaps our life is put in jeopardy by persecution, our priorities become clearer, sin loses its pulling power. Suffering for Christ advances the progress of sanctification.

Daily focus on the Son, not our sin