Devotional Space for Grace | Grace is unfair! (b) | 10.27

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
RELIGION versus GRACE
Grace is unfair! (b)

Must you give me sour looks, because I am generous?

Matthew 20:15, Knox Translation

Context of the Vineyard Parable (Matt 19:16-30) The
rich young ruler based his acceptability upon his morality and obedience to Law. He had not yet even entered the true vineyard, although having a list of good works to his name. Then Peter, as an ‘all-day worker’ for the last 3 years, asked a ‘contractual’ question, "Look, we've given up everything to follow you. What will we get out of it?" (GWT) Through this parable Jesus teaches Peter that the kingdom has a totally different standard of evaluation than the Jewish religious merit system. It is based solely on grace. Jesus opens and concludes with the saying “the last shall be first and the first last” (19:30; 20:16) – in other words grace will surprise everyone!
RELIGION versus GRACE 27 image.jpg

Key lessons:

• • While we jostle for the front of the queue, Jesus shows up in the last place. He flips everything around and says: “Over here guys! Follow me. The front is the back and the back is the front.

• • All men were equally lost, but after coming to Christ are equally saved, whether entering the vineyard at 6am or at 5pm like the penitent thief alongside Jesus. Do I grumble at the grace given to others?

• • There is such a thing as a 12th part of a denarius, but there is no such thing as a twelfth part of the love of God.

• • Avoid overrating our achievements, abilities and qualities - or envying those of others like an Augustine, Lewis, Piper or some academic.

• • A works-based religion of performance is a treadmill of misery. Our relationship with God is not a commercial contract but one of love and grace.

The operative principle in the kingdom of heaven is not merit but grace

• Love
Reactions: Lori Jane