Devotional Space for Grace | Grace is unfair! (a) | 10.26

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
RELIGION versus GRACE
Grace is unfair! (a)

You’re treating us unfairly! They’ve only worked for one hour while we’ve slaved and sweated all day under the scorching sun. You’ve made them equal to us!

Matthew 20:12, Passion Translation

Religion can cater to pride by stressing achievement. “If I do well, then I can expect God to give me greater rewards. I promise God to work harder. I will cut down on alcohol and wasting time on gaming in order to do more studying, praying, and witnessing.” Do you see? This is really a contractual arrangement with God. The more I do, the more I earn. We might baulk at the concept of grace, not wanting a free handout as part of a ‘heavenly welfare system.’ “After all,” we might reason, “grace is for gross sinners! I only need a patch of grace to fill in the gaps where I fail.”

What is background of the Vineyard parable? A generous owner hired labourers first at 6 am, then periodically throughout the day. Finally, he hired some last-minute men at 5 pm to work only one hour. Some all-day workers complained of unfairness at receiving exactly the same as those working fewer hours. Shouldn’t the last workers have received a twelfth part of a day’s usual wage of a denarius, called a pondion?

Some interpret this parable as referring to Jews chosen first for the kingdom before the Gentiles. Others see depicted the Pharisee’s attitude towards the ‘last hour’ disciples. JW’s apply it to an anointed group receiving the privilege of preaching - although an earlier interpretation saw the denarius as the
Finished Mystery book.

What is the denarius? It is not salvation to be worked for. Although Matthew 19:28-29 mentions the future reward of rulership in the regeneration; we leave the Master to bless us with a hundredfold (10,000%) according to His “non-contractual” grace.

Homework: read the context Matthew 19:16-30

• Love
Reactions: Lori Jane