Devotional Space for Grace | Do I need to Meet with other Christians? (c) |10.30

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020

RELIGION versus GRACE

Do I need to Meet with other Christians? (c)

Let us consider one another so as to incite to love and fine works,
not forsaking our meeting together, as some have the custom,
but encouraging one another, and all the more so as you see the day drawing near

Hebrews 10:24-25, NWT

How many times have you heard the above scripture read to hammer home compulsory 100% meeting attendance as a measurement of spirituality? So, after your break-out from the prison-like control of a strict religion, you may understandably want time out to enjoy freedom from such a routine.

What is the context of Heb 10? Some of the Jews in Jerusalem, who had been attending Christian meetings that emphasised new covenant grace, were in danger of abandoning Christ by returning to the legalistic religion of Judaism at the Temple. The word “
abandon” is a very strong word meaning ‘desert’ not a mere missing of a few meetings.

Where can you go? The question really is “whom shall we go away to?” Answer: Jesus (John 6:68). Many find it beneficial to meet in homes just as Christians did – at least until the end of the 3rd century – even if just 2 or 3 are present (Matt 18:20). The number present is irrelevant; Jesus presence is what matters.

RELIGION versus GRACE 30 image.jpg

What should be the goal? Bible study, while important, will not give life but points to the one who can – Jesus! Therefore, the goal is to pray for the Holy Spirit to help us feed on Christ and His grace (John 5:39-40; Acts 20:24,32). Avoid the pitfalls of ‘information overload’ or a preoccupation with just how bad our former religion was. Such discussions can result in “little ones” feeling overwhelmed rather than “encouraged in Christ” (Phil 2:1-3), and elevating more experienced or informed brothers as some sort of gurus who ‘always have the answers.’

Stir up our brothers to love Christ, not to love knowledge

IrinaM

Buddy
Oct 11, 2020
Uk
So true!
we need to
Meet togather. Without meeting we won’t know what gifts of the Spirit we received- cause those gifts are for up building of the church, the body of Christ, and not for ourselves.
Meeting shouldn’t be just about learning the Scriptures- good student does on their own anyway, but to encourage each other to “Love and good deeds”. And to praise and worship God. I found that at the meetings I get a “refill” of the Holy Spirit, get empowered and sometimes we get a word of knowledge to point us into the right direction, towards God’s plan in our lives.

IrinaM

Buddy
Oct 11, 2020
Uk
Last Sunday we have met in a group of 5 at the local pub for lunch with some friends.
One of the women, who goes to Orthodox Church, asked, why do we need to regularly meet up on Zoom and otherwise. She said:”why do you need to talk about Jesus all the time?”.
I thought to myself: if you are a new bride- wouldn’t you want to talk about the groom, tell everyone about your choice? Share your freedom, that he sat your free, and the life change?

Last edited:

deebibliophile

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 12, 2020
This really resonated with me. Building one another up and encouraging each other to keep our integrity and our identity as Christians is essential. As it says, when two or three are gathered in my name there my spirit is.

Reactions: Lois and Lori Jane