Devotional Space for Grace | Do I need to Meet with other Christians? (a) | 10.28

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020

RELIGION versus GRACE

Do I need to Meet with other Christians? (a)

Let us put our minds to the task of spurring each other on in love and fine deeds.
Let us
not abandon our meeting as some habitually do - but let us encourage
one another, and all the more so as we see the Day approaching

Hebrews 10:24-25, W Barclay NT

You stopped attending the meetings and withdrew from the preaching work. Despite being shunned you felt a real sense of freedom! Question is: do you cling onto a belief, a spirituality? You are understandably wary of jumping into a fresh group or church who may gradually impose their scriptural biases, requirements and authority upon their members. This is the dilemma faced by thousands who are leaving high control religions. How can you negotiate this minefield without gradually losing faith as many have done?

Take heart! Jesus knows where you are, how you are viewed as dead to former friends, and where your heart is. “I know where you live. Satan's throne is there. You hold on to my name and have not denied your belief in me, even in the days of Antipas. He was my faithful witness who was killed in your presence, where Satan lives.” (Rev 2:13) He knows.

Do not underestimate Him leading you to others with a similar desire for Him. Consider Elijah who, after over 3 years isolation, was surprised to learn of 7000 others who would not go along with the appointed leaders and priests into apostasy. Did the 7000 even know each other? Can you imagine the first time a group of these met? (1 Kings 19)

RELIGION versus GRACE 28 image.jpg

Trust Him, even when things are puzzling (Acts 10:19-20,
Message) - he will surprise you. He closes a door behind us but are we inclined to crow-bar it back open in desperation? We may be between doors at the moment, having to develop a waiting-watching prayerful spirit.

God is full of surprises; in fact, it is his normal way of acting!

GraceMade

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 4, 2020
Wow! What a challenging thought study. In the last Star Wars movie one of the lead characters says in reference to the evil Republic, "Their power lies in convincing you that your alone." Level 4 prisons put inmates in AdSeg, administrative segregation to obliterate their personal sense of identity. "The Silent Treatment" was a prison implemented practice to completely demoralize inmates and eliminate any effort at socialization. I'll have to ruminate a bit longer. Thank you for sharing this!!

Reactions: Lori Jane