Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020

LOST and FOUND

A New Beginning?

Put on the new [καινὸν] self, which in the likeness of God
has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth

Ephesians 4:24, NASB

“My life is in a complete mess! I have tried to make changes, to start over again, only to fall flat on my face time and again.” Don’t give up in despair. There is some good news: God delights in giving us fresh starts! New beginnings.

• • “This cup is the new [καινὴ] covenant in my blood …” (Luke 22:20)
  • • “If anyone is in Christ, he is a new [καινός] creation” (2 Cor 5:17)
  • • “Look! I am making all things new [καινός]” (Rev 21:1, 5)

What do we mean by “new”? The word “new” in these scriptures means more than just a repackaging of the old with a new twist, a rehash, an update. There are two Greek words neos (νέος) and kainos (καινός) translated in the NT by the word new. Helps Lexicon explains: “neos ("new on the scene") implies what is new in time or sequence. In contrast, kainós ("new in quality") suggests an innovation (advance, improvement) – conveys that something was not experienced exactly like this before - not only new, but sufficiently diverse from what had gone before.” Also
here. The “new self” is described using both terms in Eph 4:24 and Col 3:10.

LOST and FOUND 22 image.jpg

You need a new phone. Because you like your trusty old nokia, you simply decide to buy another nokia - the same model but with updates and no scratches – this is a “neos” phone. But suppose you go for a brand-new make and model with a completely different operating system – perhaps an iPhone – this is a “kainos” phone.

We now have a new life - not only in time but in Christ quality

Reactions: Lori Jane