Question Question from Reader on Jesus Preexistence

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith
I received the following email in response to an article I posted on this forum "Which Son Are You Confessing". I also have a thread that was started in a Faithlife group that I'm going to move over here. Please share your answers to help others understand why we earnestly believe Christ prexisted in God's plan or mind not literally.

Hello. I hope you and your family are doing well! I read your article about "Which Son of God are you confessing?" and are a bit confused. Are you saying that Jesus did not exist until his birth on Earth? Can you put it in simple terms for me?

I am approaching my study of the scriptures with an open mind and heart. However, reading John 1 and John 8:58 where Jesus says before Abraham was born, I am. It seems that Jesus was alive in heaven before being born a human on earth. I do not believe in the trinity but have seen many variations on "the trinity". I don't believe the bible teaches that Yahweh, Jesus and the Holy spirit are all the same being and equal.

Shelley

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
I myself was not able to grasp the Trinity. I did try. And then I moved on to the prexistance belief too! So this is how I understand those word with a little w verses in John. Gods power and creative force comes from his voice, his breath and so follows that his words have power. So the word is not Jesus at all. Also the scriptures in Romans 8 used to give me trouble, but then I read 7-9 in one continues session. And bingo it was obvious. But Im not gonna do a spoiler alert! Can read yourself.

Reactions: GraceMade

London

Bible Challenge
Oct 13, 2020
I myself was not able to grasp the Trinity. I did try. And then I moved on to the prexistance belief too! So this is how I understand those word with a little w verses in John. Gods power and creative force comes from his voice, his breath and so follows that his words have power. So the word is not Jesus at all. Also the scriptures in Romans 8 used to give me trouble, but then I read 7-9 in one continues session. And bingo it was obvious. But Im not gonna do a spoiler alert! Can read yourself.
I will read Romans chapters 7-9. How long did you believe something different? And what opened your heart and mind to this? Heard about it from someone else or was reading the bible?

Shelley

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
I will read Romans chapters 7-9. How long did you believe something different? And what opened your heart and mind to this? Heard about it from someone else or was reading the bible?
As a child I thought Jesus didn't pre exist. Then when a young person with JW beliefs I thought he did cause I never bothered to examine bugger all, too busy. Now I'm free and I want to know what is important to know. Not having a filter or lens is a good idea when approaching things. But your certainly allowed to believe what you believe.

Reactions: London

Shelley

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
I like things plain and simple. What helped me most to say Jesus was not in heaven with God before he was born, was that he was born. Born and at that time came into existence and not before. Jesus is only ever mentioned in the Hebrew scriptures as having a prophesied purpose. He did not contribute to creation of man or the scriptures would say he did. The word was not Jesus. He was in the line of David, you can't preexist your ancestors. Being born a human and not being a second god who changed to being a human. Here is an awesome explanation for the Proverbs 8 problem https://www.str.org/w/does-proverbs-8-22-teach-that-jesus-was-created-

London

Bible Challenge
Oct 13, 2020
Thank you Shelley. I think you read my mind. I reread Proverbs 8 and before I read the article I decided to start with a few questions. Where does it say "wisdom" = Jesus? Is the truth complicated or easy and refreshing and make sense? How would I feel if "wisdom" in context is referring to how God created the universe in particular Gen 1? Yes based on physics, mathematics, science and the beauty around us was made in wisdom!

Last edited:

London

Bible Challenge
Oct 13, 2020
I want to thank you Lori for posting my question. I felt stupid and so I emailed her trusting she would not ostracize me. However, when she didn't reply directly and I saw this I felt hurt. I realize this reaction is from being born in a JW. The group makes you feel stupid if you ask questions and hurt if you perceive you were "ignored" or embarrassment from others knowing. I only feel appreciation!

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith
However, when she didn't reply directly and I saw this I felt hurt.
Oh London - I'm so sorry you felt that way - I was trying to get all hands on deck to help answer. I am far from an expert <g>. That's why I didn't use your name. I'm glad it worked out and hope I am forgiven. And I hope this will serve as an example to others who are sincerely interested in exploring these views of the Bible without being heckled.

London

Bible Challenge
Oct 13, 2020
Oh London - I'm so sorry you felt that way - I was trying to get all hands on deck to help answer. I am far from an expert <g>. That's why I didn't use your name. I'm glad it worked out and hope I am forgiven. And I hope this will serve as an example to others who are sincerely interested in exploring these views of the Bible without being heckled.
No need to apologize Lori! What it revealed to me was worth far more than hurt feelings. See at school I would always ask questions but at the kingdom hall I was too afraid too. I ask a question once as a young child and was publicly humiliated. At school especially during high school, my classmates would often come up to me after class and thank me for asking questions since they had the same question. Of course I was the only one with my hand up..lol. Fortunately, I was not home schooled as a JW but was able to go to public school. My teachers encouraged me to research and my fellow classmates encouraged me to not be shy and ask questions. By contrast the kingdom hall environment was do not question and follow everything we say. In fact, every adult was an extension of my mom and dad and had free reign to discipline me. So you learn to be quiet, not question just do and do and do and do...it's exhausting. Thank you everyone for your responses I truly appreciate it