2023-04-25

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith
10:19 In many words Restraint in speech is advocated throughout Proverbs. While a fool’s speech leads to ruin (18:6–7), keeping quiet can help avoid trouble (21:23). A fool’s silence may even make the fool seem wise (17:28).

John D. Barry et al., Faithlife Study Bible (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2012, 2016), Pr 10:19.

Notes for 10:19

70 tn Heb “does not cease.” It is impossible to avoid sinning in an abundance of words—sooner or later one is bound to say something wrong.
71 tn Or “holds his lips under control.” The verb חָשַׂךְ (khasakh) means “to withhold; to restrain; to hold in check” (BDB 362 s.v.). The related Arabic term is used in reference to placing a piece of wood in the mouth of a goat to prevent it from sucking (HALOT 359 s.v. חשׂךְ).
72 tn Heb “his lips” (so KJV, NAB, NASB); NIV “his tongue.” The term “lips” is a metonymy of cause for speech.

Biblical Studies Press, The NET Bible First Edition Notes (Biblical Studies Press, 2006), Pr 10:19.

10:19 The wicked tend to use many words, and their words reveal the heart.

David K. Stabnow, “Proverbs,” in CSB Study Bible: Notes, ed. Edwin A. Blum and Trevin Wax (Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers, 2017), 967.
19. Much speech involves risk of sin; hence the wisdom of restraining the tongue (Ps 39:1; Jam 1:26).

Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset, and David Brown, Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible, vol. 1 (Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 1997), 394.

10:19. Constant talking will eventually lead to sin and get a person into trouble (cf. “chattering” in vv. 8, 10; also note Jas 3:2–8). This is obviously folly because the ability to keep silent is wise (cf. Prov. 11:12).

Sid S. Buzzell, “Proverbs,” in The Bible Knowledge Commentary: An Exposition of the Scriptures, ed. J. F. Walvoord and R. B. Zuck, vol. 1 (Wheaton, IL: Victor Books, 1985), 927.

19–21. The proper use of speech

19. In a multitude of words transgression will not be lacking,
And he who controls his tongue acts wisely.
20. The tongue of the righteous is choice silver,
The mind of the wicked is little worth.
21. The lips of the righteous feed many,
But the foolish die through lack of understanding.

19. Antithetic, ternary. Tongue is lit. lips. The second line may also be rendered: the wise man controls, etc. The caution is against much talking—in general, says the sage, it is impossible to talk much and be wise. The reference is to everyday life; transgression is overstepping the bounds of sobriety and good sense. The preceding proverb is directed against gossip as injurious to others; this is intended to guard the man’s own character. It may be popular in origin, but its present form was given it by cultivated thinkers. Cf. BS. 20:8. Malan cites a number of close parallels to this proverb, as talkativeness is intemperance in speech (Theophrast. Char. 8), and silence is a hedge about wisdom (Pirke Aboth, 3, 13), and cf. Pirk. Ab., 1, 17, which is probably based on this verse.—

Crawford Howell Toy, A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Book of Proverbs, International Critical Commentary (New York: C. Scribner’s Sons, 1899), 211–212.

19–21 More clearly than the previous verse, the topic of speech is given attention.

19 The insistence on cautious and careful choice of words is typically sapiential. The sages were particularly alert to the danger of wordiness and to the value of silence; cf. Eccl 9:12–14a; Sir 20:1–6. Loquacity simply exposes one to making statements that are hasty (cf. 29:20!), or simply ill-considered, or downright iniquitous. In Jewish tradition, the Sayings of the Fathers (ʾAbot, 1, 17) recognizes the wrong that results from many words. It is true, silence is ambiguous, as Prov 17:27–28 indicates, but it is less likely to cause trouble.

20 The contrast between the tongue of the just and the heart of the wicked is not frequent. While heart is often properly translated by “sense” (for “lacking in heart,” 10:13), or by “mind,” it also indicates a basic orientation of the whole person (cf. 4:23). Choice silver is tested by fire; hence the metaphor implies a strong affirmation of trust in whatever the just person says.

21 The just person is pictured here as a shepherd who nourishes others; the metaphor of shepherd is applied to God and to king in the Bible, but only here to the just. The implication is that the just is to be identified with the wise person who provides sound teaching for others. Such a task is impossible for the fools, who are not even able to sustain themselves; they are dying while they “live.”

Rowland E. Murphy, Proverbs, vol. 22, Word Biblical Commentary (Dallas: Thomas Nelson, 1998), 75.

Reactions: Diana S

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith
Cross References:
Pr 17:27 | He who spares his sayings knows knowledge, and a cool spirit is a man of understanding.
Jas 1:19 | Understand this, my dear brothers: every person must be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger,
Jas 3:2 | For we all stumble in many ways. If anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect individual, able to hold in check his whole body also.
Job 11:2 | “Should an abundance of words go unanswered, or a man full of talk be vindicated?
Pr 17:28 | Even a fool who keeps silent shall be considered wise; he who closes his lips is intelligent.
Job 1:22; 6:24; 11:2; Ps 39:1; Pr 17:27–28; 18:2, 21; 20:25; 21:23; Ec 5:3; Sir 20:17; Mt 12:36–37; Jas 1:19; 3:2–12

Reactions: Diana S

Diana S

Facilitator
Staff member
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 15, 2021
The Netherlands
Psalm 39:1 is mentioned twice in Lori's comments here:
Psalmen 39:1 (LEB): 1 I said, “I will guard my ways
that I may not sin with my tongue.
I will keep a muzzle over my mouth
as long as the wicked are before me.”

I pray watchtower will keep a muzzle over their mouth one day and that it will end their wicked ways.

Reactions: Lori Jane

LeeB

Dec 3, 2022
Amen Dians S, not just the JW’s but all those organizations that are cruel and lacking love. Then there will be only one God, one church, one faith, one messiah all immersed in Gods love.

Reactions: Lori Jane