General Mental Illness Amongst Jehovah's Witnesses

BethAnn

Oct 20, 2020
I work for NAMI, National Alliance on Mental Illness, and have found the information about Jehovah's Witnesses and mental health of enormous concern. My children relate much of their depression and anxiety to their childhood being raised in the organization. I have taken concern in the high rates of ones who die by suicide after leaving or a disfellowshipping.

Part of my exit story involves a room of elders telling me that a sister, who had confided in me about her molestation as a child, should never have spoken to me and that I had the responsibility to tell her that it was wrong to speak about this and labeled it as gossip. The accused molester was an elder who had been been moved to another congregation after it was discovered he had molested many children, including his own grandchildren. I was then told that "The World believes they should talk to everyone about everything, they talk to therapists, they talk to psychiatrists, but that is not Jehovah's way."

I want to support ones experiencing mental health conditions and suicidal thoughts overcome the stigma created by the organization, and other high control religions, to ensure silence remains among the congregation.

Last edited: