Daily Verse John 14:27 | Verse of the day by Youversion | bible.com

SC Facilitator

Staff member
Nov 29, 2022
This Verse of the Day (VOTD) teaching clip video was provided by Passion City Church and focuses on the Bible verse John 14:27.

Reactions: Diana S

Diana S

Facilitator
Staff member
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 15, 2021
The Netherlands
I found this sermon on Logos.com:

Source: Let Not Your Hearts Be Troubled (John. 14:27) by Stephen Jones

Here is an excerpt:

You can take your Bible and turn to John 14 this morning.
· Some say the presidential election is now over. Others say it’s still too early to declare a winner. To be honest, I don’t know who to trust right now, but I think all would agree this is a sad time for our country. Many of us are tired. We are weary both emotionally and physically. We are tired of the division, frustrated by the corruption, and anxious about the future..

· Our text this morning is Jn. 14:27. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
· I want to share with you three features of the peace of Christ: it is a helpful peace, a heavenly peace, and a healing peace.

1. It is a Helpful Peace​

· And Jesus said he would leave his peace with his disciples. “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.” Cf. 16:33 “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace.” After he rose from the dead, he would appear to his disciples and three times he says to them, “Peace be with you.”

These disciples would face trial and temptation. They would endure isolation and imprisonment. They would stand before kings. They would be hated by Christ’s enemies. The only possible way that they would remain faithful is if they would experience peace.
· Likewise, he says to the Seven Churches of Revelation, “Grace to you, and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth” (Rev. 1:4-5). How good it is when the Prince of Peace gives his peace! How blessed when the one who calmed the sea can say also to our soul, “Peace, be still.”
· >>This peace truly is a helpful peace…

2. It Is A Heavenly Peace​

-Jesus says his peace is not like the peace of this world. It is the kind of peace that leads Paul to write from prison, Philippians 4:6–7 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

· Where does such peace come from? It comes from trusting in the Lord and resting our weariness upon him. Isaiah 26:3–4 (ESV) You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock. (CSB) You will keep the mind that is dependent on you in perfect peace, for it is trusting in you. Trust in the Lord forever, because in the Lord, the Lord himself, is an everlasting rock! H is the everlasting rock, the “Rock of Ages.” “Stayed” means to lean on support. “Trusts” means to be confident in God, his word, his character, and his promises.
· This is a heavenly peace. In fact, it comes from God the Holy Spirit. It is no coincidence that Jesus’ gift of peace immediately follows his promise of the Holy Spirit. John 14:26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. Peace is one of the fruits of the Spirit. (Love, joy, peace…) Those who are living in the Spirit and walking in the Spirit are guaranteed to have peace, because it is part of his very nature and he produces it in our lives.

I love what Acts 9:31 says about the early church. So the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria had peace and was being built up. And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it multiplied. May the same be said of us!
· >>When we experience this kind of peace, we will find the true remedy to our worry…

It is a Healing Peace​

· Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

· Worry and anxiety are serious conditions. They go beyond mental health and really deal with spiritual health. Only Christ’s peace is the medicine that can overcome this disease.
· Jesus gives a command here: “let not your hearts.” It is in the present tense, meaning it is continuous. We could translate it, “Stop letting your heart.” Jesus knows your heart. He knows how frequently you and I worry.
· But we cannot be driven by emotions. In fact, we have a responsibility to keep our emotions in check.
· Colossians 3:15 And let the peace of Christ, to which you were also called in one body, rule your hearts. And be thankful. We are to let the peace of Christ rule, not our fears and anxieties. Sometimes, we have to have a hard conversation with ourselves.

· When you have heartburn, you take an antacid to calm things down and sooth the stomach. When you have anxiety, you go to God in prayer and his word and let his promises sooth you. You can be comforted with scriptures like this…
· Psalm 27:1 The Lord is my light and my salvation— whom should I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life— whom should I dread?
· Psalm 34:4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me and rescued me from all my fears.
· Psalm 112:5–7 Good will come to the one who lends generously and conducts his business fairly. He will never be shaken. The righteous one will be remembered forever. He will not fear bad news; his heart is confident, trusting in the Lord.
· Proverbs 3:23–26 [My son, keep sound wisdom]…Then you will go safely on your way; your foot will not stumble. When you lie down, you will not be afraid; you will lie down, and your sleep will be pleasant. Don’t fear sudden danger or the ruin of the wicked when it comes, for the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from a snare.

Conclusion​

· The peace of Christ is helpful, it is heavenly, and it is healing.
· 2 Thessalonians 3:16 May the Lord of peace himself give you peace always in every way. The Lord be with all of you.

SC Facilitator

Staff member
Nov 29, 2022

Reactions: Diana S