SC Facilitator

Staff member
Nov 29, 2022
“O Lord, all my longing is before you; my sighing is not hidden from you.” (Psalm 38:9, ESV)

d1-27-23.png

Excerpt:
This precious girl had come to live with my family while hers was in crisis. Though she'd found refuge under our roof, my arms weren’t the comfort she sought in times of anguish. So she often chose isolation over consolation.

It was tempting to be frustrated, but I also recognized myself in her prickly posture and guarded heart. After all, little girls aren’t the only ones who withdraw when life hurts.
I, too, have sat alone in my sadness and detached in my disappointment. More often than not, when my heart is aching, I’m prone to run from God instead of toward Him.

But lately, I’m discovering a different way. When I’m tempted to run and hide, I turn to the psalms in Scripture and let the words of the psalmists serve as my gentle guide. And as I follow their example, I’m learning the ache in my heart need not keep me from the comfort of God.

What the psalmists knew — and what I’m finding, too — is that God’s invitation to draw near (James 4:8) isn’t limited to epic moments of worship or poignant times of praise. His summons stands even when we can’t.

No matter how we bring our lament to God, when we dare to follow in the steps of the grievers and believers before us, we meet hope in the midst of our hurting.

And best of all, pain doesn’t get the last word. Rather than carving a canyon between God’s heart and ours, our ache paves a path right into His presence.

[More...]