General Father, Son & Holy Spirit

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith
On my "coming out" video on YouTube a commenter asked the following in regards to my statement of not believing in the Trinity.

kram sdrawde

I hope you find a good bible preaching church, I don't agree with 100% of everything the small church I attend(they use kjv only) I left the sbc due to leftward lean and pastoral change which I strongly disagreed. My wife is rcc(roman catholic church) and I am calvary baptist so I feel I understand some of the things you go through. It's tricky I know many things about the rcc like the inquisition spanning 600 years of murder and torture of biblical christians, Waldeneses, anabaptist, huegenauts not to mention Jews and Muslims. Can you read Matthew 28:19,20 and not see a group of 3 entities(personalities), Father ,Son and Holy Spirit ??? NOT trying to change your mind I just can't figure out why some don't see what I see...thanks.

I have studied this passage and want to share my findings:

Matthew 28:19-20 says:

Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you, and behold, I am with you all the days until the end of the age.”

Here are some good articles that articulate very well how I see this verse - please do take the time to read them through.

I have Logos Bible software with many bible commentaries and I will share some here:
  • Commentary - The Great Commission | Matthew 28:16-20 | N. T. Wright "Matthew for Everyone" commentary
  • Baptizing and ‘teaching’ (v. 20) are participles dependent on the main verb, make disciples; they further specify what is involved in discipleship. Baptizing has been mentioned in this Gospel only as the activity of John, though the Gospel of John makes it clear that it was a characteristic also of Jesus’ ministry at least in the early days while John was still active (John 3:22–26; 4:1–3). It was against the background of John’s practice that it would be understood, as an act of repentance and of identification with the purified and prepared people of God (see on 3:6, 9, 13). But while John’s baptism was only a preparatory one (3:11), Jesus now institutes one with a fuller meaning. It is a commitment to (in the name is literally ‘into the name’, implying entrance into an allegiance) the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit (all three of whom, interestingly, were involved in the event of Jesus’ own baptism, 3:16–17). Jesus thus takes his place along with his Father and the Spirit as the object of worship and of the disciple’s commitment. The experience of God in these three Persons is the essential basis of discipleship. At the same time the singular noun name (not ‘names’) underlines the unity of the three Persons.

Baptism was in fact performed in New Testament times, as far as our records go, in the name of Jesus, which is surprising if Jesus had laid down an explicit trinitarian formula before his ascension. An explanation for this may be found in the argument that these words, which later came to be used as a liturgical formula, were not originally so intended and used. They were rather ‘a description of what baptism accomplished’ (AB, pp. 362–363). Or it may be that Matthew is summarizing, in the more explicit and formal language of the church in which he wrote, the gist of what Jesus had taught about the God his disciples were to worship, teaching which had clearly associated himself and the Spirit with the Father, even if not in a set formula. It has been argued that these words were not part of the original text of Matthew, since Eusebius regularly in his pre-Nicene works quotes Matthew 28:19 in the shorter form ‘Go and make disciples of all nations in my name’, but the fact that no extant manuscript of Matthew has this reading suggests that this was rather Eusebius’ own abbreviation than a text he found in existing manuscripts.65

France, R. T. (1985). Matthew: an introduction and commentary (Vol. 1, pp. 420–421). InterVarsity Press.