Article EIGHT ATTRIBUTES OF GOD

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith
Source: Eight Attributes of God - Living Hope International Ministries (lhim.org)

When I went to Bible college, I had a professor (Dr. Joe Martin) who was obsessed with the eight attributes of God. It didn’t matter which class he was teaching. We knew we were going to see a question on the final exam that asked us to list out the eight attributes. After a decade and a half of reflection, I think I get it. But, before explaining why these attributes are so important, let me quote the main verses from which we get them.

Exodus 34:5-7. Yahweh descended in the cloud and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of Yahweh. Yahweh passed before him and proclaimed, “Yahweh, Yahweh, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, but who will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children and the children’s children, to the third and the fourth generation.”1

Moses had asked God, “Please show me your glory” (Ex 33:18). Yahweh replied that although Moses could not see His face, He would have His glory pass by him and proclaim His name. When the time came, God proclaimed His name twice and then listed out His eight attributes.

1. Merciful
2. Gracious
3. Slow to anger
4. Abounding in steadfast love
5. Abounding in faithfulness
6. Keeping steadfast love
7. Forgiving
8. Punishing the guilty

[more...]