Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith

Passage Guide | John 17:24 › Cross References

The Lexham English Bible
Matthew 25:34
Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world!
John 1:2
This one was in the beginning with God.
John 1:14
And the Word became flesh and took up residence among us, and we saw his glory, glory as of the one and only from the Father, full of grace and truth.
John 8:58
Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly I say to you, before Abraham was, I am!”
John 12:26
If anyone serves me, he must follow me, and where I am, there my servant will be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him.
John 14:3
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to myself, so that where I am, you may be also.
John 17:2
just as you have given him authority over all flesh, in order that he would give eternal life to them—everyone whom you have given him.
John 17:5
And now, Father, you glorify me at your side with the glory that I had at your side before the world existed.
John 17:22
And the glory that you have given to me, I have given to them, in order that they may be one, just as we are one—
John 17:24
“Father, those whom you have given to me—I want that those also may be with me where I am, in order that they may see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
2 Corinthians 3:18
And we all, with unveiled face, reflecting the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory into glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.
Ephesians 1:4
just as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him in love,
1 Thessalonians 4:17
Then we who are alive, who remain, will be snatched away at the same time together with them in the clouds for a meeting with the Lord in the air, and thus we will be together with the Lord always.
2 Timothy 2:11–12
11 The saying is trustworthy: For if we died with him, we will also live with him; 12 if we endure, we will also reign with him; if we deny him, he also will deny us;
1 Peter 1:20
who was foreknown before the foundation of the world, but has been revealed in these last times for you
1 John 3:2
Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been revealed. We know that whenever he is revealed we will be like him, because we will see him just as he is.
Revelation 3:21
The one who conquers, I will grant to him to sit down with me on my throne, as I also have conquered and have sat down with my Father on his throne.

Page . Exported from Logos Bible Software, 9:16 AM January 11, 2021.

Reactions: SC Facilitator

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith
24. Father, I will—The majesty of this style of speaking is quite transparent. No petty criticism will be allowed to fritter it away in any but superficial or perverted readers.

be with me where I am—(See on Jn 14:3).

that they may behold my glory which thou hast given me—(See on Jn 17:5). Christ regards it as glory enough for us to be admitted to see and gaze for ever upon His glory! This is “the beatific vision”; but it shall be no mere vision, for “we shall be like Him, because we shall see Him as He is” (1 Jn 3:2).

Jamieson, R., Fausset, A. R., & Brown, D. (1997). Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible (Vol. 2, p. 160). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith
JOHN 17:20–26

That They May Be One

20 ‘I’m not simply praying for them. I’m praying, too, for the people who will come to believe in me because of their word. 21 I am praying that they may all be one—just as you, father, are in me, and I in you, that they too may be in us, so that the world may believe that you sent me.

22 ‘I have given them the glory which you have given to me, so that they may be one, just as we are one. 23 I in them, and you in me; yes, they must be completely one, so that the world may know that you sent me, and that you loved them just as you loved me.

24 ‘Father, I want the ones you’ve given me to be with me where I am. I want them to see my glory, the glory which you’ve given me, because you loved me before the foundation of the world.

25 ‘Righteous father, even the world didn’t know you. But I have known you, and these ones have known that you sent me. 26 I made your name known to them—yes, and I will make it known; so that the love with which you loved me may be in them, and I in them.’

This afternoon I looked on the Internet for a website about an electric appliance that’s gone wrong. I’ve lost the instruction booklet and was hoping to find relevant information through the Web.

I found the website of the company that makes the appliance and looked for information about it. I then spotted that there was a special category entitled ‘Frequently Asked Questions’. FAQs for short. Exactly what I needed …

In the church where I work, people come from all over the world. Many of them have never been in an Anglican (Episcopal) church before. Our most frequently asked question comes because they are puzzled by what we say every day during worship, in the words of one of the creeds (the great statements of belief produced by the early Christians). What puzzles them is when we say that we believe in the ‘one, holy, catholic and apostolic church’. Surely, they say on the way out, you are Anglicans, not Catholics? Why do you say you believe in the ‘catholic’ church?

The answer is that the word ‘catholic’ simply means ‘universal’. Of course, many people say ‘catholic’ when what they strictly mean is ‘Roman Catholic’. That’s where the confusion arises. But, since many people, including many practising Christians, don’t often think about what the church actually is, and why, this gives an opportunity to say something more. And this section, the end of Jesus’ great prayer, is where a good deal of our view of the church comes from.

Imagine some great figure of the past. Shakespeare, perhaps. George Washington, possibly. Socrates. Think of someone you respect and admire. Now imagine that the historians have just found, among old manuscripts, a letter from the great man himself. And imagine that it was talking about … you. How would you feel?

That is how you should feel as you read verse 20. Jesus is talking about you. And me. ‘Those who believe in me through their word’, that is, through the word of his followers. His followers announced the message around the world. Those who heard them passed it on. And on, and on, and on. The church is never more than one generation away from extinction; all it would take is for a single generation not to hand the word on. But it’s never happened. People have always told other people. I am writing this book, and you are reading it, as a result. It’s awesome, when you come to think about it.

But what is Jesus praying for, as he thinks about you and me and all his other followers in this and every generation? He is praying that we may be, just as the old words say, ‘one, holy and universal,’ founded on the teaching of the followers, the ‘apostles’, the ones who were with him on that occasion. In particular, he longed that we should all be one. United.

This unity isn’t to be just a formal arrangement. It isn’t just an outward thing. It is based on, and must mirror, nothing less than the unity between the father and the son, that unity that much of the book has been explaining and exploring. Just as the father is in the son, and the son in the father, so we too are to live within that unity. That can only mean that we ourselves are to be united. And, in case we might miss the point, the result of this will be that the world will see, and know, that this kind of human community, united across all traditional barriers of race, custom, gender or class, can only come from the action of the creator God. ‘So that the world may believe …’

Notice how this picks up what Jesus said in 13:35. ‘This is how all people will know that you are my disciples: if you have love for each other.’ Unity is vital. Often we sense it, heard like soft music through the partition walls we set up around ourselves. Sometimes we experience it, when for a moment we meet Christians from a totally different background and discover that, despite our many differences, and the traditions that keep us apart, we know a unity of love and devotion that cannot be broken. But just as often, alas, we experience, sense and know that Jesus’ prayer for us has not yet been fully answered.

As in any human relationship, unity cannot be forced. There can be no bullying, no manipulation. But in a divided world, where the divisions have often run down so-called ‘religious’ lines, there is no excuse for Christians not to work afresh in every generation towards the unity Jesus prayed for. If we are, essentially, one in faith, there can be no final reason why we may not be one, also, in our life and worship.

In addition, Jesus returns to an earlier theme (see 12:26 and 14:3). His followers are to be ‘with him’, to see his glory. They are to know and experience the fact that the father has exalted him as the sovereign of the world. They are to know that the love which the creator God has given to him has installed him as the loving Lord of all.

Many Christians today draw back from that statement. (We spoke about this problem earlier in relation to 14:6.) They suppose, naturally enough, that it will sound arrogant, or as though they are giving themselves a special status by claiming this about Jesus. But this is to misunderstand the whole message of the gospel. When Jesus is exalted, the reason is nothing other than love. This is not the sort of sovereignty that enables people to think themselves better than others. It is the sort of sovereignty that commits them, as it committed Jesus, to loving service.

That’s what the whole prayer comes down to in the end (verse 26). It is about the love of the father surrounding Jesus, and this same love, as a bond and badge, surrounding all Jesus’ people, making him present to them and through them to the world. And, whereas in verse 11 Jesus addressed the father as ‘holy’, now he addresses him as ‘righteous’ (verse 25). The father is the judge of all the earth; though the world rages against Jesus’ followers, he will see that right will prevail.

But, as always in the New Testament, the justice for which we pray, the righteous judgment through which the father expresses himself in his world, appears before us as love. That is because, supremely, it appears before us in the person of Jesus. It is this Jesus, this man who prayed for you and me, this high priest who set himself apart for the father’s glad service, whom we shall now watch as he goes forward to complete the work of love.

Wright, T. (2004). John for Everyone, Part 2: Chapters 11-21 (pp. 97–101). London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge.