Devotional 3.9 | Space for Grace | WEDNESDAY – The Plot Thickens

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
March 9th
JESUS’ FINAL WEEK

WEDNESDAY – The Plot Thickens

March 9th      JESUS image.jpg

They planned to arrest Jesus by stealth and kill him.

But they said, “Not during the feast, so that there won’t be a riot among the people.” Matthew 26:4-5, The NET Bible

Action: Jesus moved into the final days of his earthly ministry on the way to his crucifixion. He had already told his disciples on three different occasions that he would suffer and die, gradually revealing more in stages (Matt 16:21; 17:22-23; 20:17-19). Now for the fourth time, Jesus predicts his death; but this time he adds that it will be by crucifixion and take place during the Passover (Matt 26:1-2).

Although the religious leaders plotted to seize Jesus and kill him, they had decided it could not be “during the Passover celebration,” they agreed, “or the people may riot.” (Matt 26:5 NLT) But regardless of their intentions everything had to take place according to God’s counsel and timetable. It was on the Day of Pentecost, Peter later said, “This Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death." (Acts 2:23; Gal 4:4)

Application: We may sometimes say as did Jacob - as he experienced Rachel’s death, Joseph’s apparent death, the disgrace brought by Reuben, Judah, Simeon, Levi and Dinah, along with a famine - “all things are against me.” (Gen 42:36) We too can lose sight of God’s hand weaving together both good and bad strands in the lives of those who love Him. God’s timed purpose in regard to His sons is not that they enjoy a cosy life, but that they “become transformed into the image of His Son.” (Rom 8:28-29)

“My life, my every moment, my destiny—it’s all in your hands.” (Ps 31:15, Passion)

Attachments

• March 9th JESUS.pdf
    236.1 KB · Views: 1

Neil

Bible Challenge
Oct 3, 2020
Canada
"We too can lose sight of God’s hand weaving together both good and bad strands in the lives of those who love Him".

I have to agree with Shelley.

Jeremiah 29:11

I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.

James 1:17

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

Bvenski

Nov 24, 2020
Third time's a charm.

Just kidding. I don't believe in luck.

God does allow evil to occur. Otherwise, He would stop it from occurring. Falls back on the ability of us humans to choose, aka free will.

Neil

Bible Challenge
Oct 3, 2020
Canada
Yep. There's a difference between allowing it and purposely "weaving" it into peoples lives.

Reactions: Lori Jane

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
Thanks for your comments. I didn’t wish to imply that God originates evil “strands” but that – as in the case of Joseph (Gen 37-41) when God used man’s evil to bring about good – God’s sovereign providence manages every aspect of a Christian’s life (even suffering) so that they may be conformed to the image of His Son for His glory (Rom 8:18, 28-30).
Rom 8:28 says, “And we know that God works together (sunergeo) all things for good for those who love Him, for those who are called according to purpose.” We get our English word "synergy" from Gr. sunergeo. It is what happens when you put two or more elements together to form something brand-new that neither could form separately … the combination of many elements to produce a positive result. Divine synergy – even in the darkest moments will ultimately produce what could not happen any other way. In this way “we know” that God can “weave” (used in the above sense of combining) even our disappointments and disasters into His eternal plan.
A pharmacist prepares or blends a medicine that comprises numerous compounds, some of which if swallowed individually would be disagreeably bitter to taste, yet work together for the good of the patient. We do know that nothing comes into our lives that our God of all grace does not allow and use for his own beneficent purposes (Isa 45:7).

Shelley

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Thanks for your comments. I didn’t wish to imply that God originates evil “strands” but that – as in the case of Joseph (Gen 37-41) when God used man’s evil to bring about good – God’s sovereign providence manages every aspect of a Christian’s life (even suffering) so that they may be conformed to the image of His Son for His glory (Rom 8:18, 28-30).
Rom 8:28 says, “And we know that God works together (sunergeo) all things for good for those who love Him, for those who are called according to purpose.” We get our English word "synergy" from Gr. sunergeo. It is what happens when you put two or more elements together to form something brand-new that neither could form separately … the combination of many elements to produce a positive result. Divine synergy – even in the darkest moments will ultimately produce what could not happen any other way. In this way “we know” that God can “weave” (used in the above sense of combining) even our disappointments and disasters into His eternal plan.
A pharmacist prepares or blends a medicine that comprises numerous compounds, some of which if swallowed individually would be disagreeably bitter to taste, yet work together for the good of the patient. We do know that nothing comes into our lives that our God of all grace does not allow and use for his own beneficent purposes (Isa 45:7).
Thanks for the extended clarification 👍 Makes perfect sense. Mentioning Joseph made a light bulb go on.

Reactions: Lori Jane and Neil