Devotional 3.30 | Space for Grace | SUNDAY – Resurrection Appearances (5) Disciples in Jerusalem

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
March 30th
JESUS’ FINAL WEEK

SUNDAY – Resurrection Appearances (5) Disciples in Jerusalem

That proclamation would be made, in His name,

of
repentance and forgiveness of sins to all the nations, beginning in Jerusalem.

Luke 24:47, Weymouth New Testament

March 30th      JESUS image.jpg

Action: As the two returnees from Emmaus relate their good news to the disciples gathered in Jerusalem, Jesus appears for the fifth time that day. He shows them his hands and His feet and eats fish before them.

Application:

• “Touch me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones" (Luke 24:39). Jesus showed them 'evidence that demanded a verdict‘! He appeared in the raised temple of his own physical body, not as a spirit (John 2:19-21; Ps 22:16; Rev 5:6). This was no manufactured materialised body with fake execution wounds set to deceive the disciples (cf Rom 8:11).

• “Opened their minds” (Luke 24:45) Reading the Bible without the help of God’s Spirit is like the sun shining in the face of a blind man. We can pray, “Open my eyes, that I may behold wonderful things from your law” (Ps 119:18).

• “Repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name” (Luke 24:47). Jesus heralded this same message at the very start of his ministry (Mark 1:14-15). Our witnessing should focus on Christ, His completed work and our need for repentance and reconciliation with God (Acts 10:42; 2 Cor 5:20-21) rather than salvation by association with a religious organisation or by our works.

• “He breathed into them and said‚‘Receive the Holy Spirit.‘” (John 20:22). By breathing the Spirit into them, the Lord imparted himself into them as life. This differs from Acts 2 when power came upon them for their work (Acts 1:8).

Spirit-given understanding of God’s grace empowers us to proclaim his grace to others.​

Attachments

• March 30th JESUS.pdf
    235.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Lori Jane