Devotional 3.23 | Space for Grace | FRIDAY – Jesus’ Last Words (7) I Commit My Spirit

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
March 23rd
JESUS’ FINAL WEEK

FRIDAY – Jesus’ Last Words (7) I Commit My Spirit

And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, He said,

Father, ‘into Your hands I commit My spirit.’” Having said this, He breathed His last.

Luke 23:46, New King James Version

March 23rd     JESUS image.jpg

Action: Yes, “with a loud voice” - Jesus seems determined that his final words of faith be heard.

Father. Three of Jesus’ final seven cries from the cross were prayers. When bearing our sins, he had cried out to “God”, but now Jesus returns to the more intimate address “Father”. Fellowship was eternally restored, never to be broken again.

I commit my spirit. Jesus' spirit wasn't taken from Him by force. He willingly gave it up in order to redeem us (John 10:14–18). He entrusts (paratithēmi) his spirit to his Father for safekeeping (Acts 7:59). These words are quoted from Psalm 31:5: "Into your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O LORD, the God of truth." This is a simple prayer every Jewish mother taught her child to say at bedtime. With childlike trust, Jesus handed over his spirit for safekeeping, resting his eternal destiny in the Father's arms.

Application:​

Every child of God can have this same confidence as they approach the moment of their death, the certainty that our spirit passes into the hands of their loving heavenly Father, who will receive us with joy.

When facing difficult situations with many unknowns, we can feel powerless. But if we entrust ourselves to the all-powerful, ever-present One we can go forward in faith, confident of his love - knowing He will make all things (good and bad) weave together to transform us into the image of His Son (Rom 8:28-29; 1 Pet 4:19).

Put ourselves in God’s hands, not only when we die but every day that we live.​

Attachments

• March 23rd JESUS.pdf
    227.5 KB · Views: 0