Devotional 3.15 | Space for Grace | THURSDAY – Barabbas

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
March 15th
JESUS’ FINAL WEEK

THURSDAY – Barabbas

When the Governor asked, ‘Which of the two do you wish me to release to you?’ they said, ‘Bar-Abbas.’ ‘Then what am I to do with Jesus called Messiah?’ asked Pilate;
and with one voice they answered, ‘Crucify him!’ Matthew 27:21-22, New English Bible

March 15th       JESUS image.jpg

Action: The Gospels record seven witnesses who declared the innocence of Jesus: Judas (Matt 27:4), Pilate (Luke 23:4), Herod (Luke 23:15), Pilate’s wife (Matt 27:19), a thief (Luke 23:41), the Centurion (Luke 23:47), and Roman guards (Matt 27:54). Pilate was dumbfounded. Roman law permitted a prisoner three chances to speak to defend himself, otherwise he would be automatically charged as "guilty." Yet Matthew 27:11,12,14 shows Jesus passed up all three opportunities. Pilate vacillates. What should he do? “But don’t these Jews have a custom of my releasing a prisoner in the place of another? How about that revolutionary and murderer Barabbas?” There are certain ironies involved between both men:

Name. His full name may have been “Jesus Barabbas” which means “Jesus, son of the father (Abba)”. So the choice was Jesus, son of the father, or Jesus, Son of the Father. The crowd chose Barabbas, the fighter, the embodiment of Jewish nationalism – over Jesus Christ, preacher of nonviolence; the power of love over the power of the sword.

Crime. One was guilty of the crime of sedition and the other was accused but innocent of sedition (Luke 23:2,5,19).

Crucifixion. The insurrectionist was doubtlessly scheduled for execution, and Jesus probably was crucified on the cross originally constructed for Barabbas.

Application: Barabbas became a type of those who would be set free by the atoning sacrifice of Jesus - completely undeserving and while still in sin (Rom 5:8) - and who would be called ‘children of God’ (John 1:2).

Attachments

• March 15th JESUS.pdf
    248.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Lori Jane