Devotional 3.10 | Space for Grace | THURSDAY – Stooping Grace

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
March 10th
JESUS’ FINAL WEEK

THURSDAY – Stooping Grace

“You will never wash my feet—ever!” Peter said.

Jesus replied, “If I don’t wash you, you have no part with Me.” John 13:8, Holman Christian Standard Bible

March 10th       JESUS image.jpg

Action: Surprisingly, Jesus never used the word ‘grace’ but he taught it and lived it. In Hebrew the word ‘grace’ (‘chen’) is from a root word meaning to bend or stoop in kindness to another. This is just the action Jesus took when he washed the feet of his undeserving apostles. He stooped before John’s feet– feet that had “shaken off the dust” of unresponsive cities, one of which angry John wanted to destroy. He knelt before Peter’s feet – feet that had walked on water, then sank in doubt. He tenderly washed Judas’ feet – feet that would soon be in a hurry to betray him. None of the 12 deserved to have their feet washed! They would all hot-foot it in flight from Jesus that night.

Just six verses earlier Jesus had told his disciples: “Whoever sees me sees him who sent me.” (John 12:45) Here then is a demonstration of the divine life, the posture of deity … foot washing!

Application: You and I are in the story. We are at the table needing cleansing from our filthy sins. Jesus did not say “If you don’t wash your feet, you have no part with me”. Why not? Because we cannot remove our own sin. Our feet, the filthiest part of our lives, must be in his hands. That is why he actually said, “If I do not wash you …”. Do not say, “I’m not that dirty” (1 John 1:8) or “I am too caked in sin to come to Him (1 John 1:9).

Attachments

• March 10th JESUS.pdf
    225.6 KB · Views: 0

Shelley

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Very interesting comment about us trying to wash our own feet. Jim you slay me with your insight!

Reactions: Lori Jane