Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
February 5th
PEOPLE JESUS MET

PETER – the ‘Rocky’ Follower

Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

Matthew 16:16, NASB

February 5th      PEOPLE JESUS MET image.jpg

Profile: Impulsiveness characterised this fisherman, yet Jesus saw him as the “rock” who would often become the spokesman among the disciples – one of the inner group of three. Peter’s faith could rise to the heights and suddenly sink to the depths. Consider these examples:

• he began to walk on water then sank a few steps later

• he confessed Jesus to be the Son of God

• one minute and then tried to dissuade him from going to Jerusalem the next (c) he confessed his undying love for Christ, only to deny him three times the same evening

• Peter preached to Gentile Cornelius, only to distance himself from Gentiles later.

His journey with Jesus is a study in contradictions. John 21 shows that Peter may have had a tendency to compare himself with others, in this case to the apostle John: ‘Who am I compared to Mr. Faithfulness?’ But Jesus clarified the issue; each had only one command to heed: “Follow Me.” Jesus first words to Simon Peter were, “Follow Me” and his last words were “you follow Me” (Mark 1:17; John 21:22).

Lessons:​

• Who do you say Jesus is? Will you confess him publicly?

• From God’s perspective leadership simply requires a willingness to follow Jesus Christ. Following Christ will likely lead you to places that frighten you now but, empowered by His grace, will feel as natural as home when the time is right.

• Beware the power of comparisons. Only follow Christ.

It is better to be a follower who fails than one who fails to follow.​

Attachments

• February 5th PEOPLE JESUS MET.pdf
    185.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Shelley