Devotional 2.3 | Space for Grace | JOHN – Loved by Jesus

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
February 3rd
PEOPLE JESUS MET

JOHN – Loved by Jesus

Now there was leaning on Jesus’ bosom one of His disciples, whom Jesus loved.

John 13:23, NKJV

February 3rd      PEOPLE JESUS MET.jpg

Profile: John and his brother James were fishermen. Their mother was Salome - sister of Jesus’ mother - making them Jesus’ cousins. Jesus gave them the surname Boanerges, meaning sons of thunder, likely reflecting their fiery enthusiasm (Mark 3:17). Three times Jesus had to rebuke John: (1) John forbade an "outsider" for casting out demons in Jesus’ name; (2) when he called for revenge on Samaritans for not receiving Jesus; (3) when he ambitiously requested preferred places in the Kingdom. On the positive side, eventually the old “thunder cloud” was not as volatile. In fact, in 1 John the words related to “love” occur over 40 times. There were three occasions when John along with James and Peter were singled out by Jesus to accompany

him: (1) the raising of Jairus’ daughter; (2) the transfiguration; (3) in Gethsemane. Jesus gradually was training them for what would follow. After Jesus’ resurrection it was John who helped Peter lead the church in Jerusalem. He died a very old man in Ephesus.

Lessons:​

• He was known primarily as “the disciple Jesus loved”, not as “the disciple who loved Jesus.” Do not be fooled into thinking that Jesus must love the person we pretend to be or strive to be. He accepts us as the sinner we actually are. It was Peter who profusely professed his love for the Lord, but who was it that stood at the foot of the cross and was asked to care for Jesus’ mother?
  • Those who realise how much they are loved are able to love much.

Jesus’ love is not given in exchange for our efforts. Have you accepted His love?​

Attachments

• February 3rd PEOPLE JESUS MET.pdf
    240 KB · Views: 0

Bvenski

Nov 24, 2020
I can't remember leaning on a man's bosom. I'm sure I did with my dad & grandpa, when I was younger. My young sons lean on my bosom a little bit I guess, when I hug them or when they give me hugs. I can't imagine leaning on a man's bosom today or letting another man lean on me. I must be too culturally distant from the 1st century. Same thing goes for the holy kiss. My best guess is that the holy kiss is on a man's neck, like when the disciples kissed Paul on the neck, Acts 20:37, and Luke 15:20 too.