Devotional 2.27 | Space for Grace | THOMAS – Benefit of the Doubt

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
February 27th
PEOPLE JESUS MET

THOMAS – Benefit of the Doubt

Jesus said to him. “Happy are those who have never seen me and yet have believed!” … But these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is Christ, the Son of God, and that in that faith you may have life as his disciples.

John 20:29-30, J.B. Phillips New Testament

February 27th     PEOPLE JESUS MET image.jpg

Profile: This apostle of Jesus was called “The Twin,” or Didymus. We see evidence of his devotion to Christ on the occasion when Jesus proposed going to Judea, a danger zone, to raise Lazarus. It was only Thomas who boldly declared to the fearful others: “Let us also go, that we may die with him.” (John 11:7-8,16) Later, Thomas showed a doubting attitude in response to Jesus’ comment about going away to prepare a place for the apostles, saying: “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How do we know the way?” (Joh 14:2-6) Similarly, after hearing about Jesus’ resurrection, Thomas stated: “Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails … and stick my hand into his side, I will certainly not believe.” Eight days later Thomas had the opportunity to do this. He became convinced and exclaimed: “My Lord and my God!” Christ replied “Happy are those who do not see and yet believe.” (John 20:24-29)

Lessons:​

• Do you feel you need more evidence before believing? Prayerfully investigate for yourself. If this is done in honesty, Jesus will reveal himself with clarity.

• What would make you believe? A supernatural sight or a dream? After the story of Thomas, John’s Gospel continues, “these things are written that you may believe” (John 20:31). The blessed way to encounter the risen Jesus is not by having a one-off apparition but by reading the Scriptures expectantly at any time of the day or night.

Doubts – evidence of your hard heart or your searching mind?​

Attachments

• February 27th PEOPLE JESUS MET.pdf
    232.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Lori Jane