Devotional 2.25 | Space for Grace | THE DYING THIEF – Saved by Grace

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
February 25th
PEOPLE JESUS MET

THE DYING THIEF – Saved by Grace

Jesus said to him, 'Verily I say to thee, To-day with me thou shalt be in the paradise.'

Luke 23:43, Young's Literal Translation

February 25th     PEOPLE JESUS MET image.jpg

Profile: Both condemned criminals along with the watching elders, priests, soldiers, and crowds mocked Jesus. One criminal hurled insults at him, "If you are the Christ, save yourself and us!" But then the other rebuked him saying, "Don't you even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward for our deeds, but this man has done nothing wrong." Then he said to Jesus, "Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom". (vs 32-42) What joy those words must have brought to Jesus who responded with the assurance of being alongside the robber in paradise. We cannot be certain what brought this change of heart. Was it seeing Jesus not reacting in anger to insults, seeing the title "King of the Jews" above Jesus’ head, or hearing his prayer "Father, forgive them"? He realised Jesus was King of a Kingdom beyond death.

Lessons:​

• The evildoer was saved wholly by grace. He did not deserve it, and he could do nothing to earn it - no baptism, no religious observances, no good works, no period of holy living. We are saved the same way, wholly by grace.

• Baptism invariably follows believing, but it is Christ’s blood that saves, not our water immersion (Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38).

• See the love of the Father. He did not let His Son die alone. The Father gave him a believer to be with him. A believer with mighty faith.

It is never too late to repent, and to announce your faith in Jesus!​

Attachments

• February 25th PEOPLE JESUS MET.pdf
    213 KB · Views: 0