Devotional 2.21 | Space for Grace | THE WIDOW AT THE TREASURY – Exploitation?

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
February 21st
PEOPLE JESUS MET

THE WIDOW AT THE TREASURY – Exploitation?

But in their greed they rob widows of their houses …

A widow, obviously poor, came up and dropped two copper coins in one of the boxes.

Luke 20:46-21:5, The Voice

February 21st     PEOPLE JESUS MET image.png

Profile: Jesus had just referred to pretentious law-loving scribes who, “love to parade around in their clergy robes so that they are honoured wherever they go”, adding that they would target “widows for an offering, cheating them out of their very livelihood.” (Luke 20:46-47 Passion) Right on cue, as if it had been pre-ordained as an object lesson of such exploitation, a poor widow entered the inner temple court and dropped in two copper coins. “Those two coins might not look like much,” said Jesus, “but that was her grocery money. She needed that to live, yet she gave it away. Now she has nothing left.” Jesus was not praising the widow’s undeniable generosity as much as rebuking the rich who steal from the poor. Jesus then continued to discuss the terrible future of the luxurious temple which, in part, was supported by such exploitation (Luke 21:5-6).

Lessons:​

• We could ask, according to the Law shouldn’t the giving have been reversed – the rich scribes providing materially for this poor widow? (Deut 15:11; Isa 10:2)

• We see similar practices today when a religion acts more like a business corporation in using sneaky strategies to extract money, often from the poor. Constant strong appeals begging for financial support, some even with veiled threats: “If you don’t tithe, you’re robbing God.”

• Jesus was watching her devotion, dependency, and her faith. How God dealt with her beyond her gift we do not know, and only in heaven may this be revealed.

Pure religion relieves the orphans and widows in their affliction. (James 1:27 KJV)​

Attachments

• February 21st PEOPLE JESUS MET.pdf
    250.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Shelley

Shelley

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
This example of the two coins is well over used to extract our ice cream money from us. When Jesus was not using it that way at all!

• Haha
Reactions: Lori Jane

LeeB

Dec 3, 2022
This giving of two cents is one source of the popular saying that is still in use today. Many sayings like this are from scripture like, it will all come out in the wash. Based on Revelation 7:14. Scapegoat, after my own heart, how the mighty have fallen, put words in my mouth and the writing on the wall are a few others.

Shelley

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
I want to barf when I think of the hundreds of thousands of dollars gone to the borg from my family. And the ones still in give lots of money still. Not one dime goes to whom Jesus said it should go to. Pure wickedness.IMG-20240119-WA0000.jpg