Devotional 2.18 | Space for Grace | THE COVETOUS MAN – A Poor Rich Man

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
February 18th
PEOPLE JESUS MET

THE COVETOUS MAN – A Poor Rich Man

“Beware! Don’t always be wishing for what you don’t have.

For
real life and real living are not related to how rich we are.” Luke 12:15, The Living Bible

February 18th      PEOPLE JESUS MET image.jpg

Profile: As Jesus was teaching, a man from the crowd interjected, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me." Was the man presenting a violation of Jewish Law which stated “the right of the firstborn” was a double portion of the inheritance? (Deut 21:17) Perhaps this man wanted an equal share. Cases like this were often brought to rabbis but Jesus replied with "Man, who made me a judge or an arbitrator over you?" He was not sent to preside over family disputes, he expected people to work out such personal matters. The parable of the rich fool which Jesus then related goes to the underlying issue – a correct attitude towards the accumulation of wealth. At the core was covetousness.

Lessons:​

• When we bring problems to God in prayer, he often faces us with deeper underlying issues. We pray for resolution of a health problem and we are directed to 2 Cor 12:8- 9; we pray about a poor relationship, only to be made aware of James 4:1-3.

• Covetousness is disastrous: Achan (Josh 7:1-25), Gehazi (2 Kings 5:20-27), Judas (John 12:6), Ananias and Sapphira (Acts 5:1-10). We may think of covetousness as a 'small sin' if there is such a thing, but it can soon lead on to many other sins and loss of love and peace.

• The parable of the rich man shows that hard work and planning are not the problem but the assumption that security is based on material possessions. Being rich towards God means investing in what God values: love, mercy, and righteousness.

Life is not measured by possessions.​

Attachments

• February 18th PEOPLE JESUS MET.pdf
    248.9 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Lori Jane