Devotional 2.16 | Space for Grace | THE ADULTEROUS WOMAN – Not Condemned

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
February 16th
PEOPLE JESUS MET

THE ADULTEROUS WOMAN – Not Condemned

Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” "No one, sir," she said. "Then neither do I condemn you,"
Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin." John 8:10-11, NIV

February 16th             PEOPLE JESUS MET image.jpg

Profile: It may be that this section was added later as noted in some Bible versions. This woman was brought to Jesus by the scribes and Pharisees having been caught in the act of adultery which carried the death penalty. We could ask where was the guilty man? At first, Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground, not answering their question designed to entrap him. Finally, Jesus replied, "He who is without sin amongst you, let him throw the first stone." After writing on the ground again until all the accusers had left, Jesus said to the woman, “Did no one condemn you?" and she replied "No one, Lord." Jesus replied, "Neither do I condemn you. Go your way. From now on, sin no more."

Lessons:​

• Those who wanted to condemn her could not; Jesus who could condemn her, because he had no sin, would not.

• Verse 11 does not say ‘IF you sin no more, THEN I will forgive you.’ Rather, receive the gift of no condemnation and let grace move you to sin no more (Titus 2:10-11). The threat of punishment does not release us from temptation to sin, but receiving the gift of Christ’s righteousness does. Could it have been the word Hebrew word חן– grace – that Jesus inscribed on the stone floor? (chen)

• Instead of dishing out judgment, he absorbs it. The chapter begins with Jesus stopping a stoning and ends with him facing one (8:59). Finally, he faces public execution so that we are acquitted.

______________________________​

Justification leads to sanctification.​

Attachments

• February 16th PEOPLE JESUS MET.pdf
    215.3 KB · Views: 1

Diana S

Facilitator
Staff member
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 15, 2021
The Netherlands
I love this thought!
I love this thought!
Beautiful thought indeed, Lori Jane! This thought I can feel.
What if Jesus would have said: This is 'undeserved kindness' from me to you. Such cruelty is what watchtower taught us. They teach exactly the opposite of what our Father and Jesus show us and would like to see in us. Show love, compassion, respect.