Devotional 2.14 | Space for Grace | THE SYROPHOENICIAN WOMAN – Persistent

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
February 14th
PEOPLE JESUS MET

THE SYROPHOENICIAN WOMAN – Persistent

Woman what faith you have! Be it as you wish!’

And from that moment her daughter was restored to health.

Matthew 15:28, New English Bible

February 14th     PEOPLE JESUS MET image.jpg

Profile: Jesus had gone to this region 50 miles over Israel's borders for a break (Mark 7:34). This woman begs for healing for her demon possessed daughter. Jesus did not respond immediately. The disciples wanted rid of her – after all, she was a Gentile, a woman and had demon problem in her family! Jesus says to the disciples "I wasn't sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel." The woman cries out “Lord, help me". Jesus' reply appears

harsh; "It is not appropriate to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs." In other words, ‘I am here for Israel’. Not put off even after three rebuffs (vs 23,24,26), she answers, "Yes, Lord. Yet even the dogs under the table eat the children's crumbs." Using Jesus’ own analogy, she claims that even pet dogs have food that falls down to the floor. Jesus concluded, "Woman, great is your faith! Be it done to you even as you desire."

Lessons:​

• How refreshing for Jesus to see such spunky persistent faith! Someone here asked him to do the very thing he came to do – give great gifts to unworthy children.

• Jesus as bread from heaven settled on the table of Israel as their food. They threw him down in rejection but the Gentiles fed upon his broken body (Acts 13:46). Is Christ your bread and butter?

• This miracle connects to Jesus later remarks from John 10:16. Although Jesus ministry was primarily to the Jews, eventually his ministry would become open to the Gentiles.

Persistent for Jesus.​

Attachments

• February 14th PEOPLE JESUS MET.pdf
    219.2 KB · Views: 0