Devotional 2.11 | Space for Grace | MATTHEW – Using His Gifts

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
February 11th
PEOPLE JESUS MET

MATTHEW – Using His Gifts

Then, moving on, He saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax office, and He said to him, "Follow Me!" So he got up and followed Him.

Mark 2:14, HCSB

February 11th                PEOPLE JESUS MET image.jpg

Profile: Matthew’s original name Levi suggests he was a Hebrew of the Levite tribe (priests). It was likely Jesus who renamed him Matthew which means ‘gift of God’. He was a tax collector, a wealthy official under Rome, hated by the Jews. One day Jesus walked up to Matthew's booth and said: "Follow me." The two words are in the imperative mood, meaning this was a command, not a mere invitation. Matthew's radical obedience would cause a great change in his life. He was already ostracized by fellow Jews, but when he walked away from his booth, he snubbed Rome and a

lifetime of potentially great wealth and became unemployed. Several of the other disciples could always return to fishing, but Matthew could never turn back. Matthew invited Jesus and a crowd of "tax collectors and sinners” to a feast in his home. Jesus there explained his whole mission, "I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." Matthew’s Gospel gives about 100 references to the OT, more than all the other Gospels put together.

Lessons:​

• God used Matthew’s pen, scribal talents and attention to detail to write an account of Messiah’s life in Hebrew for a Jewish audience. Have you found a new purpose for your skills? Can you pick up your “pen” and walk?

• Having been accepted by Christ to enter a new life, Matthew immediately tried to bring others into contact with Jesus.

• He was a thorough student of OT scripture.

The Way Up Is Down.​

Attachments

• February 11th PEOPLE JESUS MET.pdf
    199.4 KB · Views: 0