Devotional 2.10 | Space for Grace | THE LEPER – Living Death

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
February 10th
PEOPLE JESUS MET

THE LEPER – Living Death

Having stretched out His hand He touched him saying, “I am desiring it from all my heart. Be cleansed at once.” And immediately his leprosy was cured by being cleansed away.

Matthew 8:3, An Expanded Translation (Wuest)

February 10th                PEOPLE JESUS MET image.jpg

Profile: Leprosy was a common incurable disease, a progressive death. The Law listed 60 or more different contacts which could defile; touching a corpse came first, touching a leper was second – bringing uncleanness, guilt, and the possibility of contracting the disease. So, the Jews kept social distancing of at least six feet from lepers. Who would want to touch a repulsive “scaly” disfigured man, with staring eyes, rasping voice and vile odour, anyway? We read that Jesus mercifully reached out and touched the leper saying, "I want to; be made clean". Imagine the man’s emotions when this rabbi actually touched him … then healed him! Whilst the Jewish law included provision for confirmation of healing and an offering, presumably due to the incurable nature of advanced leprosy this would have been an extremely rare if not unheard-of event.

Lessons:​

• Jesus was compassion in action. In Matthew 8:1-17 Jesus shows grace to the outcasts: lepers (vs 1-4); Gentiles (vs 5-13); an old lady (vs 14-15); demon possessed (vs 16-17). Who are the outcasts in your community?

• These were stricken by leprosy: Miriam spoke against Moses; Gehazi greedily sought riches in the service of God; Uzziah aspired after the priesthood. Is leprosy breaking out in your life? Typically, leprosy denotes the working of sin. Leviticus 13 describes the symptoms as: deeper than the skin (vs 3); spreading (vs 7); isolating (vs 45-49); fit for the fire (vs 52,54). See also Isaiah 1:5-6.

• Under LAW: clean is contaminated by unclean. Under GRACE: clean Jesus “infects” the unclean with His wholeness (Matt 9:20-22).

Jesus: Able and Willing.​

Attachments

• February 10th PEOPLE JESUS MET.pdf
    227.5 KB · Views: 1

Tsarina Andadora

Bible Challenge
Oct 3, 2020
Earth
This is so beautiful. Even when my heart was somewhat blinded by being pimi, I cherished the accounts of Jesus with the leper and Jesus with the woman with a flow of blood. Jesus truly loved people and put mercy first. I am so grateful to have come to know him better now. Even with him being God's Son and immortal now, having him as a model makes me feel even closer to our Father. I never dreamt apostasy would actually make me grow as a Christian. All praise for this goes to our Father. May He continue to lead my life! And yours!

Reactions: Lori Jane

Tsarina Andadora

Bible Challenge
Oct 3, 2020
Earth
I know right!
It has led me down some interesting rabbit holes and I know quite a lot of the views I hold are not popular ones, but the freedom of being responsible for what I believe and not relying on eight buffoons in NY is truly amazing. Jesus and me! No one but Jesus between Father and me is amazing too.

I'm more loving. I'm more patient. I'm not so dogmatic to "correct" others. It's truly a blessing!

Tsarina Andadora

Bible Challenge
Oct 3, 2020
Earth
I think that is key. I wish others would be that way. I'm so dismayed about some in the exJW community calling others blasphemers, heretics, and anti-christ because others don't agree with their interpretation. smh
I agree with you. A couple of us woke up around the same time and we've taken some different paths as Christians and when we still had the jw mindset of needing to agree we often fought. But now we have such good conversations and such amazing discussions. I mean, in my little group (my brother and a close mutual friend) we still believe in a bodily resurrection, which might be why we get along so well, even though we would clasify as different "denominations" at this point, I don't know.

I too am dismayed at how quickly exjws will move to act like a jw with belittling words and shunning type behaviors. Even popular educated exjws with loads of YouTube videos. It breaks my heart.

Tonight my brother and I were discussing Peter in part of our conversation. How on one hand he could answer Jesus' question about who Jesus was so accurately Jesus could proclaim that fact as the foundation of belief and then turn right around and utter words from satan. So instead of biting and picking at each other we should edify our fellow believers.

Jesus will be very disappointed in many who have assumed the role of teacher. I just try to let my light shine and use my gifts to help others look toward Jesus' return.

LeeB

Dec 3, 2022
No one else but the Holy Spirit is the teacher. No one else but Jesus is the mediator. No one else but the Father is God. There is truth and there is untruth. There is sound doctrine and unsound. We all need to seek diligently these things with Christ and his God.