Devotional 2.1 | Space for Grace | People Jesus Met | MARY – His Mother

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
February 1st
PEOPLE JESUS MET

MARY – His Mother

The angel said to her, Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found grace (free, spontaneous, absolute favor and loving-kindness) with God.

Luke 1:30, Amplified Bible, Classic Edition

February 1st                PEOPLE JESUS MET image.jpg

Profile: Gabriel appeared to teenage Mary in the despised town of Nazareth, "Greetings, you favoured with grace! The Lord is with you." (Luke 1:28, Berean) Overcoming her initial fear and doubt over the greeting and the ‘baby news’ that the Spirit would “overshadow” her, she responded with words of faith, “Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word.” (Luke 1:38) A young unmarried girl who became pregnant would face public disgrace, likely begging or prostitution to earn a living and if the law was strictly enforced, could even be executed as an adulteress. But the young couple married and accepted the divine choice of the child’s name – the only baby born that was older than its parents! Mary was the only human present at Jesus’ birth who witnessed his death when ‘a sword pierced through her soul.’ (Luke 2:35; Acts 1:14)

Lessons:​

• Mary “kept pondering [dialogizomai] what kind of salutation this was.” (Luke 1:29) She was reasoning things out logically – what accounted for this greeting? Do not expect to suddenly find your belief falling into place without reasoning and investigation.
  • With a degree of non-cynical doubt, she queried “How can this be, since I am a virgin?” It is alright to have doubts. Lay them before the Lord and search His Word.
  • She submitted to the Lord’s will. Mary’s womb became like a holy of holies for the Son of God. We too can submit to the overshadowing of the Spirit’s indwelling as Christ is formed within us (Gal 4:19).

God’s best servants are often ordinary people who make themselves available.​

Attachments

• February 1st PEOPLE JESUS MET.pdf
    208.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Shelley

Shelley

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Just dont think Jesus was older than his parents. He did not pre exist them. According to scripture he was born.

Reactions: Lori Jane

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith
I have to agree with you there @Shelley . That is a theory (that Jesus pre-existed) - a very popular one so I can see how people have that preconceived (no pun intended) notion when in fact the notion of Jesus - the foreknowledge of him by God is what preceded Mary - not an actual being.

Reactions: Shelley