Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
February 2nd
PEOPLE JESUS MET

JOHN THE BAPTIST – Courageous Announcer

Are you the one who is to come, or are we to wait for another?”

Luke 7:19, NRSV

February 2nd    PEOPLE JESUS MET image.jpg

Profile: John’s life was predicted 400 years earlier in Malachi 4:5, a prophet like Elijah would come to prepare the way for Messiah. Jesus said John was the greatest prophet - but from a priestly line (Matt 11:11-15). His ministry in the wilderness (of Aenon and Peraea) challenged the Jews to repent and be baptised in preparation of the Messiah. He courageously called the Pharisees ‘snakes’ and called out Herod Antipas for his immorality. Jesus was baptised by John "to fulfill all righteousness."

(Matt 3:15) A few weeks later, John said "Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world." (John 1:29) Later he was arrested but after about one year in prison (Machaerus) John wanted reassurance from Christ that He was the foretold Prophet. Jesus responded patiently with the evidence of his miracles in fulfillment of Isaiah 35.

Lessons:​

• He deflected attention from himself to Christ. John described himself: I am the voice
– Jesus is the Word (1:14,23); I am a messenger – Jesus is the messenger of the covenant (Mal 3:1); I prepare the way – Jesus is the Way (Mark 1:3).

He pointed to Christ as the sacrificial lamb. We recognise Jesus as the only way for us to become the righteousness of God (Gen 22:7; 2 Cor 5:20-21).

He asked, “Are you the One?” We ask the same question, not because we want the Lord to release us from some bad circumstances or problems but knowing who Christ really is changes us completely. Our perspective on life changes. Life will never be the same.

Doubt is not always a sign that a man is wrong; it may be a sign that he is thinking.”​

Attachments

• February 2nd PEOPLE JESUS MET.pdf
    220 KB · Views: 0