Daily Verse 1 Corinthians 3:5-7 | Unseen gardeners | Daily reading by Christian Aid.org.UK

SC Facilitator

Staff member
Nov 29, 2022
Excerpt:

Something to think about
What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through whom you came to believe, as the Lord assigned to each. I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth.
- 1 Corinthians 3:5-7.

‘Why do people make such a fuss about keeping houseplants alive?’ I wondered to myself. ‘This is no effort at all, and they seem to be doing just fine with a hands-off approach.’
My smugness soon wore off.

Most Christian work is unglamorous, and much is unseen. In fact, our alarm bells might start to ring when an individual is too greatly venerated for their achievements. Paul uses this metaphor to remind us that all work done in the name of Christ depends on God for its success. That doesn’t mean that the tasks of planting and watering are unimportant – as I quickly found out – but that we amateur gardeners are free from the ultimate responsibility for growth of God’s plants.

Something to do.
Consider who does the unseen work in your household, church, or work contexts, and find a little way to thank them. Better still, ask if there is anything you could do to help them feel more supported in their work!

Source:

Last edited:
Reactions: Diana S