Devotional 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a | The Motherhood Vow | Proverbs31.org

SC Facilitator

Staff member
Nov 29, 2022
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a (NIV)

d5-9-23.png

Source: The Motherhood Vow | by Rachael Elmore, MA, LCMHC-S, NCC | (proverbs31.org)

Excerpt:

As a mom, I feel like I’m always getting it wrong.

I used a laundry detergent that gave my kid a rash. I paid my kids for their good grades. I give them too many chores. I enroll them in too many sports and not enough extracurriculars. I work too much. I yell too much. I should be doing so much more. The list goes on.

And in these moments, I feel defeated.

I’ve spent the last decade trying to understand how to be a good mother. But I’m a bit embarrassed to admit it was only recently that I asked God for His opinion on the matter.

His answer was really simple and surprising: 1 Corinthians 13.

Come again, God? Seriously, the wedding passage?

But when I revisited this passage that's so commonly applied to marriages, He said, Look again. So I broke down 1 Corinthians 13, thinking of the love between a mother and her child rather than man and wife.

Mothers should be patient.
Mothers should be kind.
Mothers should not harbor envy.
Mothers should not boast.
Mothers should not be proud.
Mothers should not dishonor others.
Mothers should not be self-seeking.
Mothers should not be easily angered.
Mothers should keep no records of wrongs.
Mothers should not delight in evil but rejoice in the truth.
Mothers should protect, trust, hope and persevere.
Mothers should never fail.

I spent time meditating on these words, studying their context and meaning. I was doing well with the “shoulds” until I got to “Mothers should never fail.” Everything in me wanted to reject that.

In our humanity, we are absolutely promised that we will fail. I have failed. Even the best mothers will fail. First Corinthians 13:4-8 is written to explain God’s perfect love for us — the love that never fails. While we are called to model God's love toward other people, we will not be perfect. We will all fall short sometimes.

But when we fail, we can have so much hope. God’s perfect grace is the foundation that keeps us standing firm as mothers.

But God’s Word says “love never fails” (1 Corinthians 13:8a). What if we made a vow to Him never to stop trying, no matter what “mom mess-up” makes us feel like we’re failing? Below is a vow I’ve made based on 1 Corinthians 13, and I hope it inspires you to do the same.

The Motherhood Vow:
God, I, [your name], take [your child’s name] as my son/daughter. I promise to learn to be patient, kind and slow to anger. I promise to work not to be jealous, proud or self-seeking. I will work to bring honor to my family. I will not keep a record of my child’s wrongdoings. I will seek to delight in the truth. I promise You I will do everything I can to protect him/her. God, I know I will fail my child. But when I want to give up or give in, I promise I won’t. I promise to persevere to be the mom that You want me to be.

[More...]

• Love
Reactions: Lori Jane

LeeB

Dec 3, 2022
Perfection comes when the kingdom comes and our change comes. Until then we have grace in time of need.

• Love
Reactions: Lori Jane